× Members

IB to ESA letter received

• irnbru
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113199 by irnbru
IB to ESA letter received was created by irnbru
Hi everyone,
I just joined the site fully or I did last week and hope someone could offer some advice please?

I have been on IB for 12 years now after suffering mental health issues, i had a hell of a lot of stress before this but it mainly started with severe panic attacks and progressed to agrophobia chronic anxiety and depression but mainly social phobia, I don't go out or do anything at all socially, ashamed to say I've even missed funerals of family members due to this.

I tired council isn't I tried CBT therapy, I'm on anti depressants beta blockers, gained weight and developed diabetes.

I received a letter last Friday asking me to call the DWP in Glasgow regarding my benefit IB moving to ESA. They say after a call they will send out a questionnaire to see if I qualify for the new benefit.

I'm worried sick to be honest, I don't have a phone anymore anyway because of debt collectors and my old one broke and haven't replaced to it or had the money to, I could call them on my brothers phone when he visits, but a lot nervous to be honest.

The last medical I had over 2 years ago I think at an Atos medical centre was a nightmare, the Atos doctor basically lied and didn't put anything on the form that I said to him, I had to take a diazapan and had my first drink in years in order to get there with my partner in the car.

My IB was stopped, I appealed not having much hope, one by one I went through the documents and commented on why the Atos doctor was wrong and my reason why, things like he will be fine in 6 months.... Did not have a high heart rate, even though I was medicated...
I couldn't attend the appeal because my anxiety was that bad and stated this, I couldn't get anyone to go with me on the date they gave, I've lost most of my friends over the years.
Anyway low and behold I won at appeal which was fantastic.

I now have this to deal with and would be great full for advice from other members who suffer similar mental health issues who have transferred to ESA from IB
Thanks for reading
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113201 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB to ESA letter received
irnbru

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

This phone call is simply to confirm that you have received the letter and to find out whether you have any questions on the transfer process, you do not need to phone the DWP, if you do not then the process will simply continue to the next stage which is the issuing of an ESA50 questionnaire in about two weeks.

You can prepare for this by having a look at our ESA Claim guides, the criteria for ESA are very different from IB, as they are function based rather than related to your conditions.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

There is an electronic version of the questionnaire that can be completed on your computer

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Finally there are a number of FAQs specifically related to the transfer that may be of assistance.

IB/IS/SDA transfer FAQs

If you have any questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: irnbru

• irnbru
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #113274 by irnbru
Replied by irnbru on topic IB to ESA letter received
Thanks for the reply and information Godon, I'll have a good read through it all.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113336 by alzon
Replied by alzon on topic IB to ESA letter received
hi. I suffer from similar stuff that you have listed. I recently went from IBS to ESA support group without medical.

My advice would be to list as much information as possible and be as detailed as possible. Also note the descriptors, the one about social contact seems to apply to us both:

13. Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.
Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.

I added extra sheets detailing all my issues, making it clear to reference the descriptor above. As well as others, but I cant remember them off the top of my head.

If you have felt suicidal, put this down. List your medication and as much of your history as possible. Its awful but I wanted to give so much information it would make it hard for them to ignore it all :(

The guides on here are great, use them and make sure you know as much about what qualifies you for the support group as possible.

I wish you all the best, it a nightmare :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: irnbru

• irnbru
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #113619 by irnbru
Replied by irnbru on topic IB to ESA letter received
Thank you Alzon, your reply is appreciated, I haven't called them as I don't have a phone now, but not heard anything as yet, I'm expecting the envelope to drop through my door any day now.
Thank again

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.