× Members

Does E Bay count as work/income?

• James
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113412 by James
Does E Bay count as work/income? was created by James
Do you know of any instances where E Bay type activity has been counted as income/work?
Obviously its a bit difficult to guage if £5 is made one week and a different amount the next.
Reporting every single transaction would be very impractical on a daily basis.
Similarly if one was in dire straits and took the mantlepiece clock to sell for money for food
would this count as "income"that had to be documented?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 5 months ago #113416 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Does E Bay count as work/income?

James wrote: Do you know of any instances where E Bay type activity has been counted as income/work?
Obviously its a bit difficult to guage if £5 is made one week and a different amount the next.
Reporting every single transaction would be very impractical on a daily basis.
Similarly if one was in dire straits and took the mantlepiece clock to sell for money for food
would this count as "income"that had to be documented?

There is no clear definition of when EBay activity would be counted as income, but in general terms;

- selling personal possessions should not be counted,

- buying or making items to sell probably is and needs to be reported.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: James
  • Zybyszek
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113640 by Zybyszek
Replied by Zybyszek on topic Does E Bay count as work/income?
I don't think there's anything to worry about unless you tell them. The DWP are quite stupid and shouldn't be encouraged.

I have been involved in LETS schemes for a number of years. LETS is an alternative to money and a form of barter where more than two people are involved in any deal, because you earn LETS currency units which can be spent with any other member. Years ago, the DWP visited me at home and read off a whole list of things I was supposed to declare, including LETS, so from that I knew I wasn't supposed to mention it and I didn't.
More
10 years 5 months ago #113657 by Gordon

Zybyszek wrote: I don't think there's anything to worry about unless you tell them. The DWP are quite stupid and shouldn't be encouraged.

I have been involved in LETS schemes for a number of years. LETS is an alternative to money and a form of barter where more than two people are involved in any deal, because you earn LETS currency units which can be spent with any other member. Years ago, the DWP visited me at home and read off a whole list of things I was supposed to declare, including LETS, so from that I knew I wasn't supposed to mention it and I didn't.

Withholding information from the DWP that materially affects your claim can result in your claim being suspended and in some cases, the claim closed and prior payments treated as an overpayment. If the DWP believe that there was a deliberate attempt to de-fraud then it can also result in prosecution.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Zybyszek
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113664 by Zybyszek
Replied by Zybyszek on topic Does E Bay count as work/income?
This is all true, but I soon learnt that the DWP were unlikely to find out anything and that not mentioning activities they didn't like was the best way to deal with them. As my normal occupation is benefit claimant, this means I have been much better off than I would otherwise have been. Of course, I would like to work as a translator, clerical worker, or in IT, or in an alternative economics system doing farming, brewing, and manufacturing, but I have no say in the matter.

The DWP, DSS, DfES, and DHSS have been threatening me for most of the time since I started claiming Supplementary Benefit years ago. Of course, the ideal benefits system would be a return to Unemployment Benefit and Supplementary Benefit, like under the last REAL Labour government!
More
10 years 5 months ago #113667 by Gordon
Z

I can only repeat my previous statement.

I am aware of a number of cases where claimants were trading on EBay in a manner that the DWP believed to be income generating. They can and do uncover claimants doing this.

I am now locking this topic to further posts.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.