× Members

Failed my ESA Tribunal, living abroad

• Woodybird
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113628 by Woodybird
Failed my ESA Tribunal, living abroad was created by Woodybird
I have lived abroad for 7 years, I was claiming IB when I moved here with my young son. I was re-assessed for ESA and placed in WRAG, contributions based. I appealed the decision and went to Tribunal in the UK last month. I had help from welfare rights advisers with my submission and had someone with me at the hearing.

After a very stressful hearing, the Tribunal decided that I didn't qualify for Support Group, but accepted that I was still unfit for work.

I have asked for the statement of reasons to see if I can appeal to the Upper Tribunal, but in the meantime my payments have stopped under the 365 day rule. I was also receiving Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, both are aware that I was appealing the WRAG decision, CTC is still being paid, CB is not.

Should I still be entitled to CTC and CB? I have a full 30 years of NI contributions from 23 years working and then IB.

I really don't want to move back to the UK both for my health and for my son's sake and the CTC and CB could make the difference financially.

My health has suffered substantially already as this process has already taken nearly 2 years and I really don't know where to turn now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113632 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Failed my ESA Tribunal, living abroad
Hi Woodybird,

Thanks for the update, I am sorry to hear that the Tribunal did not find in your favour.

You have done the correct thing in asking for the Statement of Reasons. If possible you should seek expert advice as to whether there might have been an 'Error in Law' as that would be the only reason for being able to take this further. I'm afraid that this is out of our remit.

We don't advise on Child benefits and your case is further complicated by living abroad.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Woodybird
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #113637 by Woodybird
Replied by Woodybird on topic Failed my ESA Tribunal, living abroad
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if there are any other members in the same situation? According to the DWP, at the start of the conversion process there were 5,200 IB claimants outside the UK, I hope I am not the only one left!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.