× Members

Beware of veiled threats at Appeal Hearings.......

More
10 years 5 months ago #113656 by Spinninglizzy
Recently attended for my appeal re ESA. Can't say where for fear of reprisals. The panel consisted of a judge and the medical professional was a retired orthopaedic surgeon who used some very nasty and unprofessional descriptors relating to my size, in his report. The inference being that all of my mobility problems were caused by my excess weight and therefore not entitled to ESA. Wrong of course, in a point of law, as I have already been advised by CAB worker that was advising me. Grounds for appeal you might think - again yes, there are some grounds but not strong ones. The final blow was the question about other benefits I received - ie DLA. No comment made at the appeal - but in the statement of reasons the panel stated "we are appalled that this woman is in receipt of DLA and would suggest that the DWP investigate the validity of this award" I see this to be a very dangerous situation not only for myself but maybe others who could find themselves in the same position. Obviously I would be terrified to take this appeal to the next level for fear of losing my DLA and I am also now waiting, in fear, for the next brown envelope - suspending my DLA if that sly comment has been picked up.
I don't want to appear to be scare mongering but I do feel that people need to be aware of things that might happen - that you are not expecting!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113666 by Gordon
Spinninglizzy

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at your ESA Appeal.

With regard your DLA, if the DWP were going to remove this they would have done so when you were found Fit for Work in the original ESA Decision.

A claimant being over weight is not in itself a reason to deny ESA, and it is perfectly possible for some one to have mobility problems because of, or indeed, despite their weight problems.

The most likely result of any successful appeal to the Upper Tribunal, will be an order to re-hear your original appeal with a direction as to any Error of Law that was held to have occurred, in the original hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113679 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Beware of veiled threats at Appeal Hearings.......

Spinninglizzy wrote: Recently attended for my appeal re ESA. Can't say where for fear of reprisals. The panel consisted of a judge and the medical professional was a retired orthopaedic surgeon who used some very nasty and unprofessional descriptors relating to my size, in his report. The inference being that all of my mobility problems were caused by my excess weight and therefore not entitled to ESA. Wrong of course, in a point of law, as I have already been advised by CAB worker that was advising me. Grounds for appeal you might think - again yes, there are some grounds but not strong ones. The final blow was the question about other benefits I received - ie DLA. No comment made at the appeal - but in the statement of reasons the panel stated "we are appalled that this woman is in receipt of DLA and would suggest that the DWP investigate the validity of this award" I see this to be a very dangerous situation not only for myself but maybe others who could find themselves in the same position. Obviously I would be terrified to take this appeal to the next level for fear of losing my DLA and I am also now waiting, in fear, for the next brown envelope - suspending my DLA if that sly comment has been picked up.
I don't want to appear to be scare mongering but I do feel that people need to be aware of things that might happen - that you are not expecting!!

If you feel you have not been treated fairly by a Tribunal who are now part of the Courts Service, then you should complain. See the guide in the FAQ. Sorry I cannot give the link as my computer internet access is useless at the moment, but any other moderators will guide you to the link.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113683 by Gordon
You can make a complaint about a Tribunal panel member using the following procedure

www.gov.uk/complain-judge-magistrate-tribunal-coroner

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.