× Members

Threats from ESA Adviser on first WFI after 2 year

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113688 by twigesa
My first WFI after 104 weeks on the Work Programme the Advisor started by saying "you will not be claiming incapacity benefits for much longer"

Hasked what Housing Benefit I claim knowing that sanctions hit HB payment.

When I said I had a recent Criminal Record and was sacked from my last job he said"You will apply for jobs that are low level that dont ask for references or CRB check or I will sanction you and you will be on £28 a week"
He also suggested I wipe the job I got sacked from of my CV so future employers wouldnt know I was sacked and extend the time I was at the previous job to the time I was sacked.

I thought being on ESA that you couldnt be forced to apply for work and how could the Advisor ask me to apply fpr jobs asking for no refs or CRB check.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113694 by Gordon
Twigesa

Most WP Advisors do not understand the limits the ESA claimants operate in.

As you have stated, as you are receiving ESA you are specifically not required to work or to seek work, however you can be required to perform Work Related Activity such as preparing a CV.

Also, WP Advisors have no authority to sanction a claimant, whatever benefit they are receiving, they can only make a request to the DWP for it to be done, the Decision whether to or not will be made by a DWP Decision Maker.

I would suggest that you contact your advisor and make them aware that you are receiving ESA, if you have no luck with this individual then escalate the issue to their supervisor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: twigesa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.