× Members

ESA50 10/13 Q10 Pre syncope?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113878 by anaqi
ESA50 10/13 Q10 Pre syncope? was created by anaqi
I'm being migrated from SDA to ESA and have just received my form in the post. I have a query about Q10 Staying conscious when awake.

I suffer with POTS (amongst other things) and have pre syncope episodes. Sometimes when I stand up I go very light headed, I feel like I'm going to faint, my heart pounds, my blood pressure drops, my vision greys and blurs, my knees give way and I collapse. I do not faint or fully lose consciousness but my awareness is altered.

When I collapse I can't always respond if someone speaks to me. If I can respond my speech is sometimes slurred and I am not coherent. It can take several minutes before I am capable of normal movement or speech.

This can happen several times a day when I am at my worst but perhaps once every few weeks when I'm at my best. Average would be once a week

Does pre syncope count as altered consciousness? Or does it have to be a full faint to qualify?
Thank you!

Mod Edit by Jim : Just to clarify What is PoTS?

Postural tachycardia syndrome (PoTS) is an abnormality of functioning of the autonomic (involuntary) nervous system. It is defined as an increase in heart rate of over 30 beats per minute (or to higher than 120 beats per minute) (40 bpm in those age 12-19) when standing upright. Typically there is no postural fall in blood pressure, although fainting (syncope) can occur .

More on PoTS : HERE
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Clarified condition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113883 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 10/13 Q10 Pre syncope?
anaqi

There is no specific guidance on whether your condition will specifically allow you to score points for this question, conversely this does not mean that you cannot but there are a number of obstacles that you will need to overcome.

All of the following relate to entries in the WCA Handbook which is used by ATOS as a guide to the assessment process, there is a copy in the Members Only area.

Firstly, the expectation will be that any such events are the result of conditions such as epilepsy, you will need to show that the periods of altered awareness are similar in nature.

Secondly, there is a specific requirement for the events to be involuntary, ATOS may argue that as they are triggered by your standing that they are not involuntary.

There is some case law in this area, follow the following link, select "ESA" in the Category field and "Post 28.3.11 WCA Activity 10" in the Sun-Category field and then the "search" button, you can also try Pre 28.3.11 although these Cases may have been superseded.

www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/default.aspx

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.