× Members

Becoming a migrant worker

• Zybyszek
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113995 by Zybyszek
Becoming a migrant worker was created by Zybyszek
Some years ago, I had plans to leave Britain for the Continent. Back then it was called the EC, but is now the EU. I had to abandon my plans because it was far too difficult, or even impossible.

I've read a lot of stories recently about migrant workers from eastern EU member states coming here quite easily, getting work, as well as losing their jobs for whatever reason, then claiming benefits. Obviously, any new EU regulations work both ways. It seems it's easier than ever before to go anywhere in the EU (except the latest member state Croatia) to look for work and/or claim benefits. During my investigations years ago, I could only transfer my benefits to elsewhere in the EC (now EU) for up to 3 months, before returning here, then I would actually have to get a job before doing that again.

I wonder exactly what the regulations are now? I'm currently on EESA of £243.30 per fortnight and Housing Benefit of about £250 per week. Can I go and live somewhere else in the EU, still claiming EESA, or would I have to give up my EESA, then claim JSA before attempting this? I don't see how I could survive on £143 per fortnight. Perhaps I could just decide to move somewhere else in the EU and remain unfit for work, giving me the opportunity to look for work, find a job, then declare myself fit for work again. What can I do?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago #113998 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Becoming a migrant worker

Zybyszek wrote: Some years ago, I had plans to leave Britain for the Continent. Back then it was called the EC, but is now the EU. I had to abandon my plans because it was far too difficult, or even impossible.

I've read a lot of stories recently about migrant workers from eastern EU member states coming here quite easily, getting work, as well as losing their jobs for whatever reason, then claiming benefits. Obviously, any new EU regulations work both ways. It seems it's easier than ever before to go anywhere in the EU (except the latest member state Croatia) to look for work and/or claim benefits. During my investigations years ago, I could only transfer my benefits to elsewhere in the EC (now EU) for up to 3 months, before returning here, then I would actually have to get a job before doing that again.

I wonder exactly what the regulations are now? I'm currently on EESA of £243.30 per fortnight and Housing Benefit of about £250 per week. Can I go and live somewhere else in the EU, still claiming EESA, or would I have to give up my EESA, then claim JSA before attempting this? I don't see how I could survive on £143 per fortnight. Perhaps I could just decide to move somewhere else in the EU and remain unfit for work, giving me the opportunity to look for work, find a job, then declare myself fit for work again. What can I do?

Hi Z,

We do not advise on claiming benefits abroad.

Here are the current DWP Guidelines on this :

www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/em...d-support/#countries

By the way, the benefit is not called EESA, it is simply ESA.

For some reason it shows up as EESA as a payment reference in your bank account, but this has no relevance to the benefit itself. :)

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.