× Members

ESA - wrag/support group

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114009 by Lawson
ESA - wrag/support group was created by Lawson
Hi all
Just a query - hope you can help.

Question: We have printed and read your excellent guides re:ESA.

Some one was transferred from IB directly to Support Group as they included as much medical information as possible with the PDF form that my wife completed for them (she is actually doing this also from rambling dictation).

We are a bit confused why it could be a risky strategy to appeal (or ask to be re-considered) if the next time they are for some reason put
in the WRAG (this should not happen as they have an incurable degenerative condition). We are following the guide "Employment and Support Allowance Mandatory Reconsiderations and Appeals October 2013". Below is only a part of Page 5 ,section 3 and obviously should not be taken out of context:

"Is there any risk if you challenge a decision?"

However if you have been awarded ESA with the work-related activity component there is a
potential risk involved in challenging the decision. This is because by asking to have the

decision looked at again, you open up the possibility that a new decision will be made that you

are not entitled to any rate of ESA at all.(end of quote) and further on re:"The Emotional Effects"

not only is there no certainty of success, you might even

end up worse off if you are appealing to be moved from the work-related activity group to the

support group.(end of quote). Thank you for this guidance. Please could anyone help with the following questions?

•Having been in receipt of ESA or IB for more than 12 months would they have nothing to lose by asking for a re-consideration?

•Or does it mean solely that no further NI would be contributed?

•Equally if they were not in a position through physical issues on the day to attend "work based interviews" and they were receiving no benefit anyway what sanctions could be applied?

•Finally if they were (wrongly) placed in the "fit for work" group could they then claim JSA even though they have had 12months ESA benefit and would still be unfit to work ?

So sorry to ask so much but have not found answers in FAQ areas and you guys are the only people who work so hard to keep on top of things.Thanks for all of your help.

Very best regards and gratitude

Lawson

Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #114011 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA - wrag/support group
Hi Lawson,

There are 2 potential dangers if someone asks for reconsideration of the decision to put them into contributory WRAG after payment has stopped.

Firstly, as you identified, there is the risk of losing NI credits towards their state pension. This has varying significance depending on how many years of contributions/credits they have to their name.

Secondly, a claimant still has the potential to be put into the Support Group at a future assessment, and payment restarting, as long as they have continued to be classed as 'unfit for work'. If the claimant is found, at appeal, to be not eligible for ESA, then the claim will end and it would be very difficult/impossible for the claimant to qualify for contributory ESA in the future.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lawson

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114150 by Lawson
Replied by Lawson on topic ESA - wrag/support group
Thank you Mrs. Hurtyback - this is much appreciated. However could you just advise on the last piece please.

"•Equally if they were not in a position through physical issues on the day to attend "work based interviews" and they were receiving no benefit anyway what sanctions could be applied?

Thanks again

Lawson
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114155 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - wrag/support group

lawson wrote: Thank you Mrs. Hurtyback - this is much appreciated. However could you just advise on the last piece please.

"•Equally if they were not in a position through physical issues on the day to attend "work based interviews" and they were receiving no benefit anyway what sanctions could be applied?

Thanks again

Lawson

I am not entirely sure where the original quote came from, but if a claimant is only receiving NI Credits then they are not required to attend WFI's or participate in Work Related Activity, so there would be no reason for a sanction to be made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Fixed quote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lawson

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115843 by Lawson
Replied by Lawson on topic ESA - wrag/support group
Sorry Gordon - I have been unable (pain issues) to thank you for your reply until now. Your answer confirms my thoughts.

Finally - I would think that if 40 years of NI had been paid then a full pension (and SERPS has also been paid for many years) would be paid at retirement age?

Last time I'll bother you on this

With gratitude
Lawson
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115849 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - wrag/support group

lawson wrote: Sorry Gordon - I have been unable (pain issues) to thank you for your reply until now. Your answer confirms my thoughts.

Finally - I would think that if 40 years of NI had been paid then a full pension (and SERPS has also been paid for many years) would be paid at retirement age?

Last time I'll bother you on this

With gratitude
Lawson

You currently require 30 years for a full State Pension, if you retire after 2015, the it will likely be 35 years.

Don't worry about not responding earlier, a members "thanks" are always gratefully received, but not expected, we know people have problems getting back to the forum.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.