× Members

ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114017 by Steve Blue
ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too? was created by Steve Blue
Hi,

My dad was placed in the WRAG group a year ago, so his benefits have just stopped *we're still waiting on a hearing to come through to appeal*.

My question: We've had no indication or notice that his DLA is to end? We were under the assumption they would stop at the same time.

Any advise? :)
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #114019 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?
Hi Bluebear,

Finally, I have a bit of good news for you! Your father's DLA will continue until he is reassessed, which will happen a few months before the award is due to end. The fact that ESA is no longer in payment is irrelevant in this case.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Blue

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114024 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?
:) :) :)

I was hoping this was the case from bits and pieces I'd read. Before I go though would you mind answering a couple of quick questions regarding this topic, please?

Firstly... presumably, when my dad is contacted to be reassessed. I'm guessing there will be a chance to appeal if disagree with the decision made?

Secondly, for one reason or another in the past, whenever myself or my mum contact the DWP / benefits office for any reason they always ask whether my dad is claiming any other benefits. Should we declare this DLA or should they already know about this?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

More
10 years 5 months ago #114025 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?
No problem Bluebear.

Yes, there is always the option to appeal a decision (at the moment!).

Yes, your father should declare the DLA when asked. I suspect this is another way of checking that the claimant is who they purport to be.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Blue

More
10 years 5 months ago #114027 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?
Ok, no worries. I'll let my mum and dad know. I suppose the reason we were dubious about saying "yes, he gets DLA" is because we feel like we're giving the DWP the nod to look into stopping that too.

Our confidence is the benefits system now is at an all time low. The thought of giving them more ammunition pains us. My mum and dad are going to struggle now as is it without getting the DLA stopped too. Fingers crossed my dad's appeal comes through soon :pinch:

More
10 years 5 months ago #114029 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA stopped. Does DLA stop too?
Bluebear

The question about other benefits is most likely one of the standard set of security question that the DWP staff ask to identify a caller, I have had it numerous times.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.