× Members

ESA decision

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114340 by pingu
ESA decision was created by pingu
Hello, I'm new here not sure where to start,

I have a long history of being out of work due to ill health, predominantly Dysthimic depression and nervous debility, in 2006 I had a major heart attack and had 5 stents fitted into my arteries.
Despite sending my form in explaining my problems restricting me from work, together with a letter from my GP categorically stating I was not fit for work, I was ordered to attend an Atos interview on 22nd November/13.
Unfortunately I was in hospital with more heart trouble at that time so I could not attend, however they have sent me a letter today saying I have been put on the Work Related Activity Group.

Does this mean without an interview they have decided I am fit for work?
Do I have a right to appeal?
It also appears this will go every 12 months, is that correct?

regards Pingu
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 4 months ago #114344 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA decision

pingu wrote: Hello, I'm new here not sure where to start,

I have a long history of being out of work due to ill health, predominantly Dysthimic depression and nervous debility, in 2006 I had a major heart attack and had 5 stents fitted into my arteries.
Despite sending my form in explaining my problems restricting me from work, together with a letter from my GP categorically stating I was not fit for work, I was ordered to attend an Atos interview on 22nd November/13.
Unfortunately I was in hospital with more heart trouble at that time so I could not attend, however they have sent me a letter today saying I have been put on the Work Related Activity Group.

Does this mean without an interview they have decided I am fit for work?
Do I have a right to appeal?
It also appears this will go every 12 months, is that correct?

regards Pingu

Hi p,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

In the first instance, have a read through this topic :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...d=10&id=99971#114286

I think it will clarify a lot of things for you.

Being placed into The WRAG, does not mean that you are fit for work, it means that you have Limited Capability for Work (LCW), but you will have to comply with WFI's and WRA.

To be placed into The Support Group (SG) you must also be assessed as having Limited Capability for Work Related Activity. (LCWRA)

Many ESA claimants are assessed on paper evidence alone, and are subsequently placed into The WRAG or The SG.

The recommended period before you are reassessed (the prognosis) will vary from one individual's ESA award to another.

There is information regarding finding out what the prognosis is, on the topic that I have posted a link to above.

See : How often will I be reviewed

You may also like to read through our guides entitled :

"Being transferred from incapacity benefit to employment and support allowance.A 22 page guide to the transfer process."

&

"Understanding Employment and Support Allowance
Our 42 page introductory guide to ESA."

On this page

ESA Claims Guides

There is also an ESA Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations Guide on the same page.

If you still have any queries after reading the above, please pose them by replying to this topic.

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your browser, so that you can return to the topic easily.

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.