× Members

Help! Atos Friday. Asperger's , Dyslexia, ME/CFS .

• delyons@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116820 by delyons@hotmail.com
Help! Atos Friday. Asperger's , Dyslexia, ME/CFS . was created by delyons@hotmail.com
Hello.
I think this is my first ever time on a forum.
I have come to the site a few times but because of my impairments I guess, not been sure where to look. So maybe the forum will help.

I have an Atos assesment on Friday (they have not responded to attempt to get a home visit).
Support person who will attend won my tribunal for DLA a couple of years ago but wants to know what we'll be asked and what to argue....
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116823 by Gordon

D@H wrote: Hello.
I think this is my first ever time on a forum.
I have come to the site a few times but because of my impairments I guess, not been sure where to look. So maybe the forum will help.

I have an Atos assesment on Friday (they have not responded to attempt to get a home visit).
Support person who will attend won my tribunal for DLA a couple of years ago but wants to know what we'll be asked and what to argue....

In case you are not aware, your email address appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The ESA assessment is a fact finding exercise by ATOS on behalf of the DWP, there is no opportunity to "argue" your case, in fact doing so can cause problems as the assessor may choose to believe that you or your companion are being deliberately obstructive and terminate the interview, so you should be very careful in doing this.

The following has links to the questions you are likely to be asked

ESA Medical – What to expect

If you have any more questions, please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• delyons@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116827 by delyons@hotmail.com
Replied by delyons@hotmail.com on topic Help! Atos Friday. Asperger's , Dyslexia, ME/CFS .
ah, thanks, Gordon, I now know I may be in the right place. :)

Not sure why my email is showing other than I thought it was my username.
I live in hope of community.

Yes, at the DLA tribunal my companion's final comment was "...If i could just argue..." and they cut her off with, "I think you've argued enough, Ms." So we'll try to be slightly more compliant!

I have clicked on the blue (hypertext?) - 'ESA medical what to expect?'
Am i right in understanding that it suggests i reads the guides i downloaded and printed ages ago?
Is there a way i can look at them online ?
Is there any specific advice anywhere on this site for how to present (rather than argue) my conditions/impairments?

thanks

More
10 years 3 months ago #116829 by Gordon
D@H

Yes you can view the guides online, if you follow the links it will take you into the members area where all of the guides are listed, when you click on a guide it gives you the option to either "open" it for online viewing or to "download" it to your PC for viewing or printing there. In either case you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC, if you do not then just do an internet search for this phrase and you should be able to download and install it.

The guides are regularly updated, so if it is some time since you downloaded the guides you might want to check that you have the current versions.

The ESA assessment is very different from the DLA one, whilst the latter is more of a conversation, albeit following a script dictated by the form the assessor fills in, the ESA interview is much more of an interrogation and is controlled by a computer programme that requires specific answers.

Further, you are very unlikely to be asked any direct questions in regard to your health problems and any limitations that they cause, the computer system derives your limitations through inference and assumption from your answers to what may seem quite innocuous questions.

As an example; "do you watch TV?", if you answer yes without further qualification, the assessor will assume that you can sit for long periods of time without pain, that you do not suffer from poor concentration, that you do not have problems with your sight and probably your hearing as well!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116830 by slugsta
Many claimants are rather confused by the assessment, rather than being asked questions about their condition, or subjected to a medical examination, claimants are asked a series of - seemingly - random questions about their daily activities and answers are extrapolated from that.

One tip I can give is to only answer 'yes' to a question if you can perform that activity without any problem.'Yes, but...'will result in the 'yes' being recorded. it is better to dsay 'no, not without...' as this is more likely to get your limitations recorded accurately.

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta. Reason: Edited for clarity

• delyons@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116833 by delyons@hotmail.com
Replied by delyons@hotmail.com on topic Help! Atos Friday. Asperger's , Dyslexia, ME/CFS .
'follow the links' ... sorry, I'm struggling to do that!
I remember that there was so much paper i got confused. I was about to open the box that contains it all - but I do want to see the most updated version anyway.

What is the specific title of the guide i need ?

thanks for bearing with me

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris