× Members

DLA Tribunal

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117384 by IanO
DLA Tribunal was created by IanO
My wife has her DLA tribunal next month, we are applying for middle/high rate care. Originally she was on low rate mobility and low rate care and we applied for middle rate care, but they turned it down. When we asked them to review the decision again, they put her on high rate mobility(which we did not ask for) and kept the care rate as low. They have again looked at the decision, but did not change it so it has now gone to appeal and we have a hearing.

The DWP stand by their decision to raise the mobility to high rate, but they feel that the she is only eligible for low rate care. My concern is we have been told that she could still go to the tribunal and lose the high rate mobility even though it is the care element we are appealing against, please could you let me know if this the case and how likely it is that they will bring up the mobility. If the Judge decides to look at the Mobility as well as the care, can we ask for an adjournment as we have not prepared to argue the mobility side.

Is it also true that it is harder to get middle rate care now.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117388 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Tribunal
Ian

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

To try and answer your questions.

The Tribunal is entitled to look at both the care and mobility elements of the award, however, they are required to warn you if they believe that the current Mobility award is unjustified so that you can withdraw the appeal. It may be possible to have an adjournment, but this is not the usual practice.

There has been a noticeable tightening up of the assessment procedure by the DWP over he last year, so it has become more difficult to get an award for DLA.

Medium Rate Care is awarded because there is a substantial requirement for care during the day or night, for Higher Rate Care you will need to show there is a requirement day and night.

Please have a look at our DLA guides to see whether there is anything you can do with regard to presenting your case.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaappeals

and the following FAQs which may also be of use.

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

If you have any more questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to help you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117399 by IanO
Replied by IanO on topic DLA Tribunal
Hi Gordon

Would they inform us on the day of the hearing they are going to look at the mobility side of things or would they get in touch before the hearing?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117401 by Gordon

Coolio wrote: Hi Gordon

Would they inform us on the day of the hearing they are going to look at the mobility side of things or would they get in touch before the hearing?

It will most likely be at the start of the hearing, it is possible that they might phone you in advance but this is rare.

Gordon

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Private comment added by moderator.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117404 by IanO
Replied by IanO on topic DLA Tribunal
Thanks for your reply, my other concern is we are not sure if we will be able to have anyone represent us at the hearing (due to limited funding in our area). Would this go against us.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117406 by Gordon

Coolio wrote: Thanks for your reply, my other concern is we are not sure if we will be able to have anyone represent us at the hearing (due to limited funding in our area). Would this go against us.

Having a Representative will definitely raise the likelihood of success, but it is perfectly possible to win an appeal without one, as many of our members have. They key is to be certain of your case, which is why I suggested you have a look at the guides to see whether there is a better way to present your case on the day.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.