× Members

Help - Put in WAG from Support Group

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago #117644 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Hi P,

Yet another blatant example of DWP staff giving out incorrect and misleading information that could be to the detriment of the claimant.

Disgusting !!!!!! :angry:

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117649 by chumsmum
Replied by chumsmum on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Should I still do an SAR for the previous descriptors or call back and just simply say "what has changed" ? Try getting a different advisor?

I don't know whether it is something you would like to comment on but is moving back into a support group something that is successful in most cases or are they going to still take the "ATOS decision is final"

Sorry I am a bundle of questions I managed to read more of the Support Group/WRAG group qualifications and I don't know whether I have read this correctly but Ive interpreted that there are no set tests to be put in the support group but its if the assessor records that you should be put in the support group? have I interpreted that wrong?
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117654 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group

peanut wrote: Should I still do an SAR for the previous descriptors or call back and just simply say "what has changed" ? Try getting a different advisor?

I don't know whether it is something you would like to comment on but is moving back into a support group something that is successful in most cases or are they going to still take the "ATOS decision is final"

Sorry I am a bundle of questions I managed to read more of the Support Group/WRAG group qualifications and I don't know whether I have read this correctly but Ive interpreted that there are no set tests to be put in the support group but its if the assessor records that you should be put in the support group? have I interpreted that wrong?

Hi P,

As you may have gathered, information given out over the phone by DWP Call Responders cannot be relied upon.

You could ring up again, and state that you have previously been given misinformation and that you would like an escalation to a Supervisor/Manager.

This will involve them calling you back.

You could complain about the misinformation given at the same time.

The only way to be sure of receiving documentation is to issue a SAR.

You could do this as a back up even if the Supervisor/Manager agrees to give you the information.

Whether your MR/Appeal would be successful rests on the individual merits of your case.

However, the fact that you were previously in The SG should help, we have had quite a lot of members who have successfully moved from WRAG to SG at the reconsideration stage.

When an MR is carried out, a totally different DWP Decision Maker (DM) should look at the WRAG decision with a "fresh pair of eyes".

There are most certainly set criteria to qualify for The SG.

You must qualify under at least one, any one of The SG Descriptors :

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

e.g. As it seems that you suffer from Agoraphobia and anxiety it may be that you qualified under SG Activity/Descriptor 13 :

"13. Coping with social engagement, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

13. Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the claimant."

This is just an example so please don't take it that this was the descriptor that was applied last time.

The SG Descriptors above are classed as "Functional Descriptors" if you did not qualify for the SG under one or more of these, you may have been placed into The SG under The Exceptional Circumstances Rule.

This is another way of gaining entry to The SG if you don't qualify under at least one of the "Functional Descriptors"

In particular it may be ESA Reg 35 (2) (a) & (b) :

"(2) A claimant who does not have limited capability for work-related activity as determined in accordance with regulation 34(1) is to be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity if—

(a)the claimant suffers from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement; and

(b)by reasons of such disease or disablement, there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have limited capability for work-related activity."

ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

So it may have been deemed that there would be "Substantial Risk" to your health of that of another if you had not been placed into The SG.

If you have been placed into the SG under ESA Reg 35 rather than one or more of the "Functional Descriptors" the onus would be on you, rather than The DWP DM to show that this "Substantial Risk" still applies.

Have another read through our FAQ :

Qualifying for the Support Group

Just to add, The ATOS Assessor (HCP) makes recommendations on which group you should be placed into.

It is The DWP DM who actually makes the decision, taking into account "ALL" the evidence that they have access to.

Don't worry about asking further questions, we are here to help as much as we can within the remit of the forum.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118004 by chumsmum
Replied by chumsmum on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Hi just to update you I have received my ESA85A from last time (2011) - was amazed at how quick that came.
it basically says:
ADVICE
"I am now able to advise that the claimed level of disability is consistent with the evidence before me"

PROGNOSIS
I advise that a return to work could be considered within 18 months

JUSTIFICATION OF ADVICE
The ESA50 suggests that the client has significant level of disability due to mental health problems such that they would have limited capability for work. Client has support and is taking relevant medication.

As I stated before and Im not worried about admitting it on this forum I have chronic agoraphobia and since this assessment have been put on more medication and have more support.

So what did the above mean the last time? It does not state anywhere that they advised the Support Group. When I asked for copies of info I was told I would get "the lot" DWP's words and all I did receive was the ESA85A.

Still have had no written advice of the outcome of my latest assessment just verbal- its now coming up for the one year mark since I originally sent in my ?50 form
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118007 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
peanut

This ESA85A is recommending a placement in the WRAG as a result of the phrase "such that they would have limited capability for work".

I can only surmise that the Decision Maker made the Decision that you met the criteria for the Support Group.

I can't easily track back on your posts, so if this was a new claim, then I would only expect there to be an ESA85 or ESA85A, however, if you were transferred from another benefit then there should also be an LT54 which may contain the DMs reasons for overriding the ATOS HCP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.