× Members

Help - Put in WAG from Support Group

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago #117577 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Hi p,

If you are aware of the SG descriptors that were applied to place you into The SG last time, you can ask why this/these descriptors have not been applied again.

Especially if you are not taking any new medication, or have undergone any new treatments or procedures and that you have not learned to cope or adapt better to your limitations, and they have not diminished in any way.

You are entitled to an explanation as to "What has changed", and why you no longer qualify for The SG.

Qualifying for the Support Group

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117628 by chumsmum
Replied by chumsmum on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Hi bro 58 thank you for your information:

How do I find out what descriptors were used to put me in the support group in the first place? Ive looked at my award letter and cant see anything on there - am I allowed to ask this of DWP?

Am I allowed to just ask "what has changed" over the phone before putting in the "Reconsideration" appeal?

Since my last claim I have had two new conditions diagnosed, I have been unable to have treatment for one as I am unable to attend the hospital - over the last 18 months I have been treated by a Nurse Consultant Mental Health and been given therapy but it has been slow - I learned only after the assessment that I am no longer entitled to his help under the NHS though as they are only allowed to help for so many months or appointments???? and other than in the last year going out I think 4 times in one year - would any of this mean that I now go to WRAG not support group
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117629 by bro58

peanut wrote: Hi bro 58 thank you for your information:

How do I find out what descriptors were used to put me in the support group in the first place? Ive looked at my award letter and cant see anything on there - am I allowed to ask this of DWP?

Am I allowed to just ask "what has changed" over the phone before putting in the "Reconsideration" appeal?

Since my last claim I have had two new conditions diagnosed, I have been unable to have treatment for one as I am unable to attend the hospital - over the last 18 months I have been treated by a Nurse Consultant Mental Health and been given therapy but it has been slow - I learned only after the assessment that I am no longer entitled to his help under the NHS though as they are only allowed to help for so many months or appointments???? and other than in the last year going out I think 4 times in one year - would any of this mean that I now go to WRAG not support group

Hi p,

No, the reasons for placing you in The SG are not included in the decision notice letter.

You could request the ESA85 if you had a "medical" last time, or ESA85A if you didn't have a "medical".

It depends on whether the DWP will still have them.

If not, you could simply request the information regarding which of the SG descriptors were applied last time.

If you can't gain this information via a verbal request, you can issue a SAR.

There is information regarding this in one of my previous posts :

Here.

The only problem with this is that the DWP have 40 calendar days from the receipt of the SAR to respond.

If you are to do this, don't miss your one month deadline to request an MR.

Remember it is important that you actually use the wording :
"MANDATORY RECONSIDERATION", and not just reconsideration or appeal.

bro58

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117630 by bro58
Hi P,

To answer this :

" over the last 18 months I have been treated by a Nurse Consultant Mental Health and been given therapy but it has been slow - I learned only after the assessment that I am no longer entitled to his help under the NHS though as they are only allowed to help for so many months or appointments???? and other than in the last year going out I think 4 times in one year - would any of this mean that I now go to WRAG not support group"

Any treatment that you might of had would need to have diminished the limitations that you suffered on your last WCA, or have helped you to cope with them better "For the majority of the time" (greater than 50% of the time) or as covered under :

ESA Reg 34. (2) Applicable to Support Group :

“A descriptor applies to a claimant if that descriptor applies to the claimant for the majority of the time or, as the case may be, on the majority of occasions on which the claimant undertakes or attempts to undertake the activity described by that descriptor”

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/794/regulation/34/made

For the majority of the times that you attempt the activities.

If neither of the above apply for the majority of the time then you should be classed as not being able to carry out the activities at all.

If this is not the case, and your conditions have not improved to such an extent that your resulting limitations have diminished, then you should still qualify under the same SG descriptors.

bro58

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117638 by chumsmum
Replied by chumsmum on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
Hi I telephoned DWP this morning to enquire as the descriptors used in my last claim where I was put in the support group. I was informed that no such information is available on computer and has to be called for out of storage. the advisor informed me that he could do this whilst on the telephone by email (I did mention the forms that you had stated in your post but was told I did not need to do this?) I mentioned the ESA85A and was told I will receive in a few weeks ALL paperwork relating to my last claim.

He also went onto explain that I DO NOT need a Mandatory Reconsideration and must NOT ask for this but just a "reconsideration" this is because I have not failed the medical I am just asking to be moved back into the support group. He also stated that if I was to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration by money would be stopped immediately until such time as a decision has been made. So to recap do not use Mandatory Reconsideration unless you have failed the medical

He stated that should I need/wish for my case to be reconsidered I can ask for further time to do this if I am obtaining the previous paperwork.

Can you advise whether any of this is correct? Has he asked for the paperwork correctly or should I still do something different? I am baffled as everytime you speak to DWP you get a different answer.

thanking you in anticipation of your help
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117642 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help - Put in WAG from Support Group
peanut

I am sorry but this is the usual bull from the ESA Call Centre staff.

If you only ask for a Reconsideration then the DWP should accept this as a request for a Mandatory Reconsideration, however, we are aware of claimants where it has not and no MR has been carried out leaving them having to make a Late request for an MR.

So our advice is to specifically request a Mandatory Reconsideration over the phone with a follow-up in writing.

An MR applies to any challenge of a Benefit Decision for any benefit, technically there is no such thing as a Reconsideration any more.

An MR will not stop a benefit being paid if it is already in payment, so as you are in the WRAG you will continue to receive the WRAG rate. The only circumstance where payment will not now be made is for ESA where someone is challenging a Fit for Work Decision, due to the claimant not scoring sufficient points, previously a claimant was able to lodge an appeal from the outset and receive the ESA Assessment rate, this is not now payable until an appeal is lodged after the MR has completed.

In regard the time to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this is normally one month from the date of the Decision letter, it can be extended by requesting a written Statement of Reasons, but we do not advice this as there is no clear definition as to what constitutes written SoR and the DWP often take the position that it has already been supplied and that an extension does not apply.

If you notify the DWP when you request an MR that you are seeking further evidence then they should allow a further four weeks for you to send this in before making a Decision, we recommend doing this in writing.

I hope this covers everything :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chumsmum

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.