× Members

Esa queries

• pjd
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118918 by pjd
Esa queries was created by pjd
Hi there, can you answer a couple of questions for me.

1. on the moving around and using steps question. - do I tick it varies if I cannot walk the 50 metres. My ability to move around varies between from a few metres upwards but never the 50 metres without needing to stop and rest

2. Would a letter from my gastroenterologist be beneficial to send with the esa form. I suffer from crohns, colitus and irritable bowel syndrome, but Im not sure how much use it would be. I am always very weak/tired from this and other conditions I have. I have previously asked for one in previous years but the consultant just said he does not get involved with the benefit side of things. I am thinking of trying again but what would the letter need to contain to be of advantage to me.

3. If I take the esa descriptors to my gp, would I be considered to be 'influencing' her.

4. Can a gp refuse to give a support letter?

5. Lastly, has anyone suffering from severe m.e./cfs and fibromyalgia used the symptoms of these conditions to fill in the mental, cognitive and intellectual function questions and been successful with their esa, or did they dismiss them?

Sorry if my questions sound a bit confusing but I hope you can understand what I am trying to say (very muddled/confused brain to blame)

Thanks.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118932 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa queries
pjd

1. By using "it varies" you would be saying that sometimes you cannot mobilise 50m and that sometimes you can, if you can never mobilise more than 50m then you should answer accordingly. Don't forget that this is not a walking test, your ability to propel a manual wheelchair will also be considered, so you must cover this requirement as well.

2. If you believe that such a letter will help explain why you meet one or more of the Descriptors then it should be of help, but be careful of simply including such a letter just because it is available, you will be assessed against the ESA Descriptors and I have seen these letters actually casting more doubt on the claimants abilities than they resolved.

3. I would take a copy of the full Descriptor, with all of the sub-descriptors, with the points removed and ask them to make a comment based on their knowledge of your conditions, which entry they feel you would meet and to explain why.

4. I am afraid they can, they have no obligation to provide support for a patient in regard to an ESA claim, it is also possible that they may charge you to produce a letter, in which case I would ask them to detail what it would include before going ahead, a letter saying the claimant s not Fit for Work and nothing more will certainly not be worth the money that you might be asked to pay for it.

5. There is no right answer for this, fill in the form as you feel appropriate. I know that many ME/CFS sufferers are diagnosed with Depression as well, so you might want to consider how this element contributes to your problems with question 11-17.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• pjd
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119053 by pjd
Replied by pjd on topic Esa queries
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your advice.

Im still a bit confused about question 2 and why you say to be careful about including letters just because it is available. I thought it was best to collect as much supporting letters to go with the esa form as possible. Also where can I find a copy of the full descriptors, with all the sub descriptors, with the points removed.?

Thanks.

Pj

More
10 years 1 month ago #119061 by Gordon

pjd wrote: Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your advice.

Im still a bit confused about question 2 and why you say to be careful about including letters just because it is available. I thought it was best to collect as much supporting letters to go with the esa form as possible. Also where can I find a copy of the full descriptors, with all the sub descriptors, with the points removed.?

Thanks.

Pj

The Descriptors are listed in the ESA Claim guides, you can copy the text and paste it into another document which you can then give to your GP.

With regard the letters, it is easy to assume that any letter of support will be of assistance, but you really need to sit down and read the content thoroughly, I had a letter for a DLA claim that confirmed mobility problems but stated that I had no care needs, despite my having spent several appointments with my GP going through all of the problems I was having in this area, as a result the letter could not be used, fortunately I hadn't paid for it, in the end I used information from my medical records.

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• pjd
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119067 by pjd
Replied by pjd on topic Esa queries
Hi gordon,

Do I need to take the sg and the wrag descriptors with me to my gp's?

Also I understand what you mean about the letters not necessarily containing the 'right' information. Can I ask you that when you say you used information from your medical records, was the whole letter used or did you use segments of it (if that makes sense), and was there was limit on how far back you went regarding the info on your medical records.

Thanks.

P

More
10 years 1 month ago #119071 by Gordon

pjd wrote: Hi gordon,

Do I need to take the sg and the wrag descriptors with me to my gp's?

Also I understand what you mean about the letters not necessarily containing the 'right' information. Can I ask you that when you say you used information from your medical records, was the whole letter used or did you use segments of it (if that makes sense), and was there was limit on how far back you went regarding the info on your medical records.

Thanks.

P

You should always provide the whole letter or report, leaving out part of it merely invites the question what is missing and why? That's why I could not use my own GP's letter.

How far back you go really depends on your conditions and when relevant reports were produced, obviously the further back you go then less weight that the DWP will give it, but if you can also show that your condition is not likely to improve or that it is likely to deteriorate, then even reports from a number of years ago should be taken into account when making a Decision.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.