× Members

Appeal

• foreverfoggy
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119011 by foreverfoggy
Appeal was created by foreverfoggy
Hi there, My daughters appeal is tomorrow and I wanted some advice on a couples of things. Firstly, the atos report that the decision is based on is completely inaccurate. I have sent in a detailed explanation of where it went wrong and I also complained to Atos. Atos sent me an apology letter in which they admitted that the assessor had not taken into account how her illness affected her. Both these documents are enclosed in the 'pack' My first question is: Will this medical report be struck out of the appeal? and What do I do if it is not? Also the decisions page was based on the Atos report and some of the 'facts of the case' are in fact not true. (the assessor, had wrongly interpreted one of her illnesses.) :unsure:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119028 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Appeal
As you have a letter from Atos undermining the assessment it is quite likely that the tribunal will not accept the accuracy of the report. They will then look for alternate medical evidence on which to base a decision. If you have not provided any then it is quite likely they will adjourn for another assessment to take place. If you have any additional evidence you can take it with you and should provide four copies. However if you take more than one page of evidence they are again likely to adjourn the case so they can have time to review the evidence and give the DWP a chance to respond.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119029 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal

foreverfoggy wrote: Hi there, My daughters appeal is tomorrow and I wanted some advice on a couples of things. Firstly, the atos report that the decision is based on is completely inaccurate. I have sent in a detailed explanation of where it went wrong and I also complained to Atos. Atos sent me an apology letter in which they admitted that the assessor had not taken into account how her illness affected her. Both these documents are enclosed in the 'pack' My first question is: Will this medical report be struck out of the appeal? and What do I do if it is not? Also the decisions page was based on the Atos report and some of the 'facts of the case' are in fact not true. (the assessor, had wrongly interpreted one of her illnesses.) :unsure:

It is not clear from your post whether ATOS are saying that the whole report is invalid or only aspects, the answer to this will likely dictate how the panel will view it.

You need to be aware that if the report is totally invalidated then the Tribunal may order that a new assessment is carried our before they can continue with the hearing, if this was a DLA or PIP appeal then the likelihood of this happening is quite high, for ESA it is a lot lower and will depend, to some extent, on the quality of your medical evidence.

Finally, most Appeals are decided on the day as a result of what the claimant says in response to the panels questioning. so they may not see it as important as you do to disregard the report. All you can really do at the hearing is correct any comments that they make that are based on the report and are in error.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: libran1962

• foreverfoggy
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119030 by foreverfoggy
Replied by foreverfoggy on topic Appeal
I have recently handed in a letter from her consultant backing up her original diagnosis. The original diagnosis was handed in at the same time as the atos report but the DM ignored the letter in favour of Atos. If, for any reason they still refer to the atos report, would it be wise for me to stop the appeal until we have legal advice?

More
10 years 1 month ago #119031 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal

foreverfoggy wrote: I have recently handed in a letter from her consultant backing up her original diagnosis. The original diagnosis was handed in at the same time as the atos report but the DM ignored the letter in favour of Atos. If, for any reason they still refer to the atos report, would it be wise for me to stop the appeal until we have legal advice?

To be honest, stopping the appeal is not an option, you can take advice afterwards, although it is not legal advice that you will require but benefit advice.

I would also remind you that it is not your diagnosis that is being considered but the impact that your conditions have on your day to day activities. ESA will only be awarded if you meet the Descriptors for the benefit and you need to concentrate on arguing that you do during the hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• foreverfoggy
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119032 by foreverfoggy
Replied by foreverfoggy on topic Appeal
Hi Gordon, Firstly the appeal is for DLA. The atos report had contradictions and medical inaccuracies. so many that it would be difficult for me to list everything. I did however, list them all in reply to this report and this is included in the 'pack' the Atos letter says
'The customer relations medical advisor has identified deficiences with the report on this occasion. He explains that as recorded. Dr ### has not explained or justified his opinions within the report and has not sufficiently explored or investigated in enough detail, the full effects of ###### conditions'
It goes on to say that they have informed the DWP and it is up to them if they feel this has inpacted on there decision.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.