× Members

ESA Interview

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119476 by welshgrl
ESA Interview was created by welshgrl
Hi
My partner suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and hears voices and has agitation on a daily basis. We are just about to send off the completed questionaire with plenty of medical evidence and supporting letters. Its the first time we have been contacted by the dwp in years to check on our situation.

My partner does not know about the forms or possibility of an interview as he will totally freak out at the thought of change to routine and meeting strangers. I intend to just take him on the day without telling him if we are summoned to interview.

My question, Is there any chance they will not interview him? His psychiatrist has written to say how ill he is and how an interview will be detrimental.
If he does have to go and he freaks out in the ATOS interview will they hold it against him? I'm worried it would have to be stopped because of his behaviour.
Thanks in advance
Kaz
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sally-jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119478 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Interview

Kaz wrote: Hi
My partner suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and hears voices and has agitation on a daily basis. We are just about to send off the completed questionaire with plenty of medical evidence and supporting letters. Its the first time we have been contacted by the dwp in years to check on our situation.

My partner does not know about the forms or possibility of an interview as he will totally freak out at the thought of change to routine and meeting strangers. I intend to just take him on the day without telling him if we are summoned to interview.

My question, Is there any chance they will not interview him? His psychiatrist has written to say how ill he is and how an interview will be detrimental.
If he does have to go and he freaks out in the ATOS interview will they hold it against him? I'm worried it would have to be stopped because of his behaviour.
Thanks in advance
Kaz

It is certainly a possibility but there are, unfortunately, no guarantees. The fact that you have a letter from his psychiatrist and specifically about his attending an assessment is good, but it is down to the doctor who initially reviews his papers.

If there are problems, then speak to his GP about them also writing to ATOS.

I notice that you are a relatively new member :) you do nor say what he is being assessed for, but I assume it is ESA, is he already on ESA or being transferred from another benefit such as IB? I hope you had a chance to use our Claim guides, ESA has very different qualifying criteria from it's predecessors.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119480 by welshgrl
Replied by welshgrl on topic ESA Interview
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. He is on Income support, DLA, high rate care and low rate mobility.
Also gets the severe disability premium. He is getting moved over from income support to ESA. Its not a new claim, a switchover I think.

The form I filled in for him was the ESA50.

Kaz
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119481 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Interview

Kaz wrote: Hi,
Thanks for your reply. He is on Income support, DLA, high rate care and low rate mobility.
Also gets the severe disability premium. He is getting moved over from income support to ESA. Its not a new claim, a switchover I think.

The form I filled in for him was the ESA50.

Kaz

Forgive me for prying.

You say your partner receives the Severe Disability Premium, do you also receive DLA Medium or Higher Rate Care or PIP Care, I assume that you are living together, I am concerned whether the SDP should be in payment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago #119483 by welshgrl
Replied by welshgrl on topic ESA Interview
Hi
I just checked, the SDA was knocked off some time ago and replaced by carers allowance.
Sorry for the confusion :)
Kaz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
10 years 1 month ago #119484 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic ESA Interview
In reference to what happens if your partner 'freaks out' in the interview I think this is unlikely to go against him. It may well go in his favour as it will hopefully highlight his level of difficulty although there is no guarantee they will be understanding about this (or that it will be properly recorded). The only difficulty that may arise is if your partner leaves the interview early as they may record that he did not attend or was uncooperative and this may go against him. If the interview is terminated early for any reason it will be important to establish at the time, or later if this is not possible, if the interview was recorded as completed. Also it is not clear what you mean by 'freak out' exactly I assume you mean anxiety but if your partner has aggressive tendencies you will want to make this clear in advance.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.