× Members

Query re PIP claims for people on life long DLA

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119637 by Heffy
I noticed a similar question to this the other day and didn't know whether to do it through that or begin my own. Anyway hopefully its ok to begin my own. I am on a life long award of DLA, as is a friend of mine and we both understood that we would not be asked to put in a claim for PIP until after October 2015 at the earliest. Last Saturday she has received her letter asking her to contact them about putting a claim for PIP and she said when she phoned them earlier today that she didnt think that this was to happen until at least the end of next year. She was told that the rules have now been changed and the letters and claims are being done by postcodes. I havent seen anything about rules being changed and as it affects her and in turn me and others, I just wondered what is known on the forum about these changes. Thank you.
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #119638 by Gordon
Heffy

We are not aware of any changes regarding when DLA claimants with an indefinite award will be invited to claim PIP, I would suggest that you friend calls the DWP and escalates the problem to a manager, this will normally require a call back.

However, if an invitation to claim PIP has been issued then they need to do this within the timescale on the letter unless the invitation is withdrawn in writing. They might want to dig out their latest DLA award letter, this clearly confirms that indefinite awards are not to be moved until 2015 or after.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119639 by bro58
Hi H,

The information regarding inviting current DLA recipients with Indefinite or Life Awards has not changed :

"Sometime after October 2015 "

See :

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...eet-reassessment.pdf

www.gov.uk/government/publications/reass...la-claimants-for-pip

The DWP can review current Indefinite or Life DLA Awards at random under : The Right Payment Programme

If this is the case, and you were in an active PIP Postcode Area, then you may be invited to claim PIP.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by bro58.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #119658 by Billy
Hi H
I recently was awarded DLA one week before it became an active PIP area

I was sent a proof of entitlement letter and one of the paragraphs on it stated

Everyone else in receipt of DLA will not be contacted until 2015 or later, unless you report a change in how your health condition or disability affects you, or if your award is due to end

Bud

More
10 years 3 days ago - 10 years 3 days ago #120624 by Heffy
Thanks for the replies but I am still totally confused as my friend was told on ringing them that the assessments were now by postcodes and people in those areas are being sent invitations to apply for PIP earlier than October 2015 even where they are on indefinite awards of DLA, hence her letter. She has gone ahead with the application. I heard of someone else yesterday that this also applies to and on querying it she was told the same. Could you explain please what they mean by postcoded areas as I just dont understand anymore if people like myself are likely to be called earlier than previously told, when we are on an indefinite award. Thanks very much.
Last edit: 10 years 3 days ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 days ago #120627 by Gordon
Heffy

I will do my best to explain, but is very complicated.

The original intention with PIP was to assess everybody from day one (not literally), so claimants with a fixed term award would be assessed when it renewed and claimants with an indefinite award would be selected at random.

It rapidly became clear that such a broad approach would rapidly lead to chaos in the system, so an operational decision was made to defer the assessment of DLA claimants with an indefinite award until after October 2015, those with a cynical disposition might comment that this also pushed the bulk of the transfers after the next General Election, but I am sure that that is just coincidence.

When PIP cam into force it became clear that neither Assessment Provider was ready, indeed ATOS only had about 10% of the assessment facilities up and running, so first of all the DWP were forced to delay the start of transfers by three weeks and then they had to limit transfers by postcode, so that only those claimants who live in an "active" postcode are effected by the changes. The postcode map is on the following link.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

So what can they change, the decision to delay the transfer of indefinite awards is an Operational Decision and is not defined in the legislation, so whilst they most certainly should not be inviting these claimants to claim PIP there is not legal obstruction to them doing so.

The active postcodes are defined in the legislation (in a round about way), so only those in an active postcode can be invited.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.