× Members

ESA Telephone Review?

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120536 by The Seal
ESA Telephone Review? was created by The Seal
It's been 18 months since my last decision, and I would have been due reassessment in June.

Given the recent news about non-assessment of existing claims, I was surprised to receive a letter telling me I would be receiving a phone call next week in order to 'make sure' I am receiving the 'right amount' of ESA, and that they would be asking me 'some details' relating to my 'current circumstances', including savings/income information.

They want me to have the 'latest details' to hand. What do they mean by this? All I have is my ESA and my debts, nothing else. Do they want Doctors stuff too?

Has anyone else had to do this? I hate stuff like this cos it pushes my anxiety to stupid levels and I'm afraid I'm going to sound dodgy on the phone.

I know I'm probably unnecessarily worried about this, but I'd just like to check if this is normal, and not some attempt to hoodwink me into saying something that could be construed as a change in circumstances. Nothing's really changed for me in 18 months.

Feel nauseous at the prospect of receiving this call. Please, if anyone has any information, let me know.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #120540 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Telephone Review?
The Seal

This is not a re-assessment of your claim, but rather a compliance visit, so you will not require any medical evidence.

There are two reasons for these visits, both are related to your payments, either there is the possibility that you are being under paid, depending on your circumstances the DWP may believe that you are entitled to a Premium for example and need to check your eligibility, alternatively it may be because they believe you are being overpaid, this could be because they suspect you have an undeclared income or that your savings are exceed the applicable limits.

They will want to see your bank and savings statements and related documents.

The vast majority of these visits result in no further action being taken, so you should try not to worry about this too much, although I realise that this is easier said than done.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Seal

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120543 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Telephone Review?
Too add to Gordon's excellent advice - compliance 'visits' have recently been carried out by phone, it is possible that you will be asked to send in copies of your financial details, depending on the outcome of the call.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by slugsta. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Seal

More
9 years 11 months ago #120544 by The Seal
Replied by The Seal on topic ESA Telephone Review?

Gordon wrote: The Seal

This is not a re-assessment of your claim, but rather a compliance visit, so you will not require any medical evidence.

There are two reasons for these visits, both are related to your payments, either there is the possibility that you are being under paid, depending on your circumstances the DWP may believe that you are entitled to a Premium for example and need to check your eligibility, alternatively it may be because they believe you are being overpaid, this could be because they suspect you have an undeclared income or that your savings are exceed the applicable limits.

They will want to see your bank and savings statements and related documents.

The vast majority of these visits result in no further action being taken, so you should try not to worry about this too much, although I realise that this is easier said than done.

Gordon

Thanks for the info Gordon, but you're saying I'm going to get a visit? I thought this was a phone call? They're saying they're going to call me, not doorstep me. :/

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #120546 by The Seal
Replied by The Seal on topic ESA Telephone Review?

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: Too add to Gordon's excellent advice - compliance 'visits' have recently been carried out by phone, it is possible that you will be asked to send in copies of your financial details, depending on the outcome of the call.

Ah, that explains it then.

The only extra income I've had is a few hundred quids worth of personal stuff on ebay to pay for xmas. I can't see how that's going to cause any issues. Should I even bother bring it up?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 11 months ago #120552 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Telephone Review?

The Seal wrote: Ah, that explains it then.

The only extra income I've had is a few hundred quids worth of personal stuff on ebay to pay for xmas. I can't see how that's going to cause any issues. Should I even bother bring it up?

There is no requirement for you to volunteer information, however conversely, you can be penalised for withholding information so I would wait and see what you are asked about and respond accordingly.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.