× Members

ESA Medical Assessment

More
9 years 7 months ago #125264 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Medical Assessment

007zac wrote: Thanks Gordon, the letter is a detailed medical account of my right ankle but also talks about my difficulties mobilising and getting out of the house. What about the guidance from physio and trying to walk with crutches?

You may be able to use it as reason why you cannot use a wheelchair in regard to mobilising, however, it is quite likely that the distance you can "walk" with the crutches will be considered in regard to the Mobility test and there fore may count against you. You would need to show that the distance is limited or that you are still in pain while using them to possibly avoid this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 007zac
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago #125267 by 007zac
Replied by 007zac on topic ESA Medical Assessment
Thanks for that

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago #125269 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Medical Assessment
Hi 007Z,

Just to reiterate,

It is not just a walking test, it will also be considered whether you can self propel a manual wheelchair unaided.

This will be taken into account, even if you have never owned, used or been advised to use a manual wheelchair.

See :

Activity/Descriptors 1. of :

The WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Descriptors

&

The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used."

This is covered in our :

"Employment and Support Allowance claims on physical health grounds: a guide to the work capability assessment.

This is a fully comprehensive guide to the assessment procedure for the work-related activity group and the support group on physical grounds."

3rd link down this page :

ESA Claims Guides

bro58

• 007zac
  • Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125660 by 007zac
Replied by 007zac on topic ESA Medical Assessment
hi just back from medical assessment, I was only in 20 mins. I was asked about my medical condition, whether I had a step to my house? I have and a ramp for the wheel chair which I am unable to use without assistance because of the gradient. The assessor asked about my medication, pain, how much muscle wastage due to using wheelchair. Time -scale for next operation which is unknown as I need to use my crutches more to encourage bone healing. I am worried as there was no questions on how far I can mobilise with crutches or wheelchair, although I did tell her that using crutches requires good balance and the medication affects that.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125662 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Medical Assessment
Zac

It's not unusual for the assessor not to ask direct questions about the ESA Descriptors so I would not worry too much about them not asking about how far you can mobilise. ESA Decision are taking about 5-6 weeks on average.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #125663 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Medical Assessment

007zac wrote: hi just back from medical assessment, I was only in 20 mins. I was asked about my medical condition, whether I had a step to my house? I have and a ramp for the wheel chair which I am unable to use without assistance because of the gradient. The assessor asked about my medication, pain, how much muscle wastage due to using wheelchair. Time -scale for next operation which is unknown as I need to use my crutches more to encourage bone healing. I am worried as there was no questions on how far I can mobilise with crutches or wheelchair, although I did tell her that using crutches requires good balance and the medication affects that.

Hi 007z,

Glad to hear that the "medical" was not too traumatic.

The assessing HCP should have been aware of how far you have stated that you could "Mobilise" in your ESA50.

They make observations on how well, and how far you can "Mobilise" as part of the assessment.

The HCP will now send the ESA85 Medical Report which includes their recommendations on the level of your ESA award, elctronically to The DWP Decision Maker (DM)

Hopefully it will not be too long before you receive a decision from The DWP DM.

Please keep us updated.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris