× Members

PIP mobility

• ClareBeckley
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #127852 by ClareBeckley
PIP mobility was created by ClareBeckley
I've got severe osteoarthritis in my right ankle last August I needed a complete fusion of the ankle. I also have a slipped disc in my back L5/S1 I claimed PIP and got standard rate only for Daily Living component.

Then I read the Mobility component and scored 10 points for that but wasn't awarded even the standard rate. I read the report and challenged this because it said if you scored between 8-11 points you got the standard rate. So the lady that I spoke to said she'd send and e-mail to the DWP and i'd have to wait for them to get back in touch with me.

The letter said that I could walk between 20 and 50 metres but even on a really good day I can't. I thought that my surgeon that did my ankle would support me on this but he obviously hasn't. How can I get them to change their mind? I can walk 20 metres then I have to sit down for 10 minutes, before I can walk that far again. Walking that far hurts both my back and ankle, so I can't walk 20 metres have a minutes rest then walk that far again I need at least 10 minutes rest in between.

If anyone has any advice at all i'd be great to hear from you please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ClareBeckley
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #127853 by ClareBeckley
Replied by ClareBeckley on topic PIP mobility

ClareBeckley wrote: I've got severe osteoarthritis in my right ankle last August I needed a complete fusion of the ankle. I also have a slipped disc in my back L5/S1 I claimed PIP and got standard rate only for Daily Living component.

Then I read the Mobility component and scored 10 points for that but wasn't awarded even the standard rate. I read the report and challenged this because it said if you scored between 8-11 points you got the standard rate. So the lady that I spoke to said she'd send and e-mail to the DWP and i'd have to wait for them to get back in touch with me.

The letter said that I could walk between 20 and 50 metres but even on a really good day I can't. I thought that my surgeon that did my ankle would support me on this but he obviously hasn't. How can I get them to change their mind? I can walk 20 metres then I have to sit down for 10 minutes, before I can walk that far again. Walking that far hurts both my back and ankle, so I can't walk 20 metres have a minutes rest then walk that far again I need at least 10 minutes rest in between.

If anyone has any advice at all i'd be great to hear from you please.

Also on my right ankle i've also had to have a ligament repair, a tendon transfer and my subtalar joint fused. The last operation the complete fusion of my ankle has now meant that i'm completely unable to move the ankle at all. It was completely fused together and is held together with 3 screws which means that I can hardly walk at all because of the severe pain in it even with crutches i'm still in complete agony when I try and walk at all never mind more than 20 metres. So I think I should be on the enhanced rate of Mobility component for PIP.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127854 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP mobility
CB

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

If the Decision Notice letter, specifically states that you can only walk 20m-50m and you have not been awarded the Standard rate of PIP Mobility, then this would seem to be an error by the DWP.

Whilst you could wait for them to respond to this, I would recommend that you actually request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the Decision, this is for two reasons; your post suggests that you believe you meet the criteria for an Enhanced award (see below) and secondly, whilst the DWP should address the error, experience suggests that they may not do so within a reasonable timescale and this could compromise your rights to challenge the Decision.

You should have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for more information about the MR process.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

I would also recommend you have a look at our PIP Claim guides, which cover completing the PIP2 form, they may help you explain your limitations in more detail (same link).

In particular you should look at whether you can walk Reliably, the PIP legislation requires any activity to be completed reliably, any activity or in this case distance that a claimant cannot complete reliably should not be counted.

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

If you have any questions on the above, then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• ClareBeckley
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #127855 by ClareBeckley
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your quick reply so you think that I should be getting the enhanced rate mobility because of my walking difficulties? What is the phone number I need to phone to get a MR please?

I couldn't believe it when it said i'd scored 10 point sbut not giving me the standard rate of mobility =(. Most days I can't even walk around the house never mind going walking around outside unless my mum pushes me in my wheelchair.

• ClareBeckley
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #127857 by ClareBeckley
I just didn't want to lose what I had got so should I go for the MR if so what can I say to them? Is there anyway I can get this done before I wait for the decision from the DWP? Also when I try to download the guides it just takes me to the Windows Media player so I can't read them sorry about that.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127858 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP mobility

ClareBeckley wrote: Hi Gordon

Thanks for your quick reply so you think that I should be getting the enhanced rate mobility because of my walking difficulties? What is the phone number I need to phone to get a MR please?

I couldn't believe it when it said i'd scored 10 point sbut not giving me the standard rate of mobility =(. Most days I can't even walk around the house never mind going walking around outside unless my mum pushes me in my wheelchair.

The number to phone will be on any of the letters you have had from the DWP about your PIP, we recommend following up any phone request in writing.

We can only go on what members post on the forum, if you do not believe that you can walk more 20m reliably then you should consider challenging the Decision on this basis.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.