× Members

carers allowance and esa/dla

• pjd
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago #129741 by pjd
carers allowance and esa/dla was created by pjd
Hiya,

Can you tell me if a friend can claim carers allowance for me if he and his partner are already claiming JSA and have 2 children for which they receive child benefit and child tax credits and have HB and ct as well?. He has recently lost his job and has become more of a carer for me as I struggle with all daily things. The people I live with are getting on now and struggle themselves and are not eligible for carers allowance anyway.

Would this affect my ESA and DLA mobility/care allowance?

Also in the future when I will possibly have to live on my own, will his claiming carers allowance affect any other claims I make for myself with other benefits I.e. HB / ct etc.?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #129778 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic carers allowance and esa/dla
PJD

Providing that you are receiving DLA Medium or Higher rate care and your friend is prepared to provide a minimum of 35 hours care then there is nothing stopping them doing so. Depending on their circumstances, they may be able to also claim Income Support as a carer.

If you are currently receiving the Severe Disability Premium then someone claiming CA for you would stop payment of this premium, otherwise there would be no effect.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• pjd
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129791 by pjd
Replied by pjd on topic carers allowance and esa/dla
Hi again, can you tell me if carers allowance is dealt with by the dwp. If it is then would it draw attention to the fact that I am yet to transfer over to ESA. As you know many people absolutely dread going through the process and I don't want to trigger my transfer by claiming carers.

Is it best to wait until my transfer result has been decided because if I dont pass it then he would have his carers money stopped anyway wouldn't he?, and it would mess up his family's money.

On a similar issue, my counsellor/psychologist has suggested that I could get more disability aids to help around the house and is also looking into getting an electric wheelchair as I am pretty much housebound,. Who deals with this and would the DWP be informed as I am worried about the above happening.

I know my turn will be coming around soon enough and I am terrified about it and worry what will happen if I apply for any of the above.

Sorry if I'm waffling too much.

Pj
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129794 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic carers allowance and esa/dla

pjd wrote: Hi again, can you tell me if carers allowance is dealt with by the dwp. If it is then would it draw attention to the fact that I am yet to transfer over to ESA. As you know many people absolutely dread going through the process and I don't want to trigger my transfer by claiming carers.

Is it best to wait until my transfer result has been decided because if I dont pass it then he would have his carers money stopped anyway wouldn't he?, and it would mess up his family's money.

On a similar issue, my counsellor/psychologist has suggested that I could get more disability aids to help around the house and is also looking into getting an electric wheelchair as I am pretty much housebound,. Who deals with this and would the DWP be informed as I am worried about the above happening.

I know my turn will be coming around soon enough and I am terrified about it and worry what will happen if I apply for any of the above.

Sorry if I'm waffling too much.

Pj

Hi pjd,

Yes, The Carers Unit who administer CA are part of The DWP but a different department to that which deals with ESA.

Just to be clear being in receipt of ESA does not give someone else eligibility to claim CA for providing care for you.

You have to be in receipt of MR/HR Care or a PIP Daily Living Award, so I will assume that the "transfer result" that you speak of is pertaining to when you are eventually invited to claim PIP, which may be some time from now.

I cannot see someone else claiming CA for providing care for you having any adverse effect on your transfer to PIP or ESA. (Taking Gordon's previous comments into account)

CA Eligibility.

Carers UK. CA.

Of course, it is only a decision that you and the potential "Carer" can make ! :)

With regards to aids and adaptations, you should contact your Local Authority (information should be on their website) and/or your Local Social Services.

They generally send out an Occupational Therapist to your home, who will then assess your needs and make recommendations within a report.

You may be financially assessed to see whether you have to contribute towards the cost of any aids/adaptations.

Just to add, whereas aids and adaptations can help in picking up points for a PIP Award, they can be adverse to an existing DLA Award.

With regards to an electric wheelchair, you would have to be put forward for an assessment by your G.P. or other treating HCP.

If you receive Mobility Component of DLA, you can contact : Motability or another reputable electric/power wheelchair supplier.

bro58

• pjd
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129806 by pjd
Hi bro58, I got a bit confused about ESA and dla as i was thinking carers was related to esa. Also I just thought that by applying for carers that it would flag my name up as not being dealt with yet but you say that wouldn't be the case.

My family are my main carers but they are struggling more now and my friend already helps with 'heavy' stuff and is doing it more and more. Do you think its best to make a carers claim now or wait until the change over to pip.? I read that it would take place in October for those on indefinite DLA.

You say aids and adaptations can be adverse to an existing DLA award, why is ithat and should I not apply for it then?

I already have some aids provided by social services a few years ago but my psychologist believes that I should contact them again to see if any other stuff would help me. I don't think they can but she wants me to try. If I do try again, is it in any way connected to the DWP?

The psychologist is writing to my gp about getting help, would my gp put anything into action before speaking to me?

Soz i know I'm waffling again but I can't help it. :)

Pj

• pjd
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129807 by pjd
Hi its me again, I forgot to ask if when applying for carers allowance, do the DLA people notify the ESA people or do I just have a combined file at the DWP?

Also can you confirm whether people collecting a state pension cannot claim carers allowance at all.

Thanks for all your help/dvice so far.

Pj

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris