× Members

carers allowance and esa/dla

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129811 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic carers allowance and esa/dla

pjd wrote: Hi bro58, I got a bit confused about ESA and dla as i was thinking carers was related to esa. Also I just thought that by applying for carers that it would flag my name up as not being dealt with yet but you say that wouldn't be the case.

My family are my main carers but they are struggling more now and my friend already helps with 'heavy' stuff and is doing it more and more. Do you think its best to make a carers claim now or wait until the change over to pip.? I read that it would take place in October for those on indefinite DLA.

You say aids and adaptations can be adverse to an existing DLA award, why is ithat and should I not apply for it then?

I already have some aids provided by social services a few years ago but my psychologist believes that I should contact them again to see if any other stuff would help me. I don't think they can but she wants me to try. If I do try again, is it in any way connected to the DWP?

The psychologist is writing to my gp about getting help, would my gp put anything into action before speaking to me?

Soz i know I'm waffling again but I can't help it. :)

Pj

Hi pjd,

It would be the potential "carer" that applied for CA, not you.

All that I can state is that someone else claiming CA for providing care for you should not have any effect on any potential ESA reassessment.

I cannot possibly advise you on whether someone else should claim CA, and if so, when they should do so.

DLA recipients with Indefinite Awards will be invited to claim PIP "sometime after October 2015" running until October 2017.

So your invitation could be as soon as 8-9 months from now, or it may not be for around 32 months from now.

This timetable is susceptible to delays, there is an Election in May, the government may change, and there are already huge backlogs with new PIP claims and fixed term DLA claimants changing over to PIP, so no definites, I'm afraid.

Aids can be adverse to a DLA Care award, if the aid takes away the "Reasonable Requirement" for the Care/Help.

I do not know whether Social Services, etc "Talk" to The DWP.

Your G.P. should discuss things with you before action is taken.

The best people to discuss these issues with are the people who are treating/supporting you, they will know you best.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129812 by bro58

pjd wrote: Hi its me again, I forgot to ask if when applying for carers allowance, do the DLA people notify the ESA people or do I just have a combined file at the DWP?

Also can you confirm whether people collecting a state pension cannot claim carers allowance at all.

Thanks for all your help/dvice so far.

Pj

Hi pjd,

The Carers Unit may check that the person applying for CA is entitled to it by contacting other departments to ensure that they are not in receipt of an overlapping benefit that may preclude payment of CA to them.

As you should have seen from the : CA Eligibility link that I have previously provided, State Pension may preclude payment of CA. However, as it says, dependent on the carers personal circumstances, they may still receive extra monies.

Carers UK, or The Carer Unit should be able to provide more information pertinent to the individual circumstances of the potential carer.

bro58

• pjd
  • Topic Author
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129837 by pjd
Replied by pjd on topic carers allowance and esa/dla
Hi bro58,

Thanks for the help. I'm still a bit confused about what you said about aids/adaptations affecting my DLA care award, if the aid takes away the reasonable requirement to the care/help. Im probably being a bit dim butI don't understand it. Can you give me an example of what you mean?

Pj

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #129838 by bro58

pjd wrote: Hi bro58,

Thanks for the help. I'm still a bit confused about what you said about aids/adaptations affecting my DLA care award, if the aid takes away the reasonable requirement to the care/help. Im probably being a bit dim butI don't understand it. Can you give me an example of what you mean?

Pj

Hi pjd,

A basic hypothetical example :

One of the reasons that your DLA Care is awarded is that you need help from someone with toileting, getting on and off the loo.

A raised toilet seat, toilet support frame and grab rail are fitted, the result being that you no longer need help from someone to get on and off the loo.

It would then be for you to prove, that despite these aids, help/supervision was still "Reasonably Required" with getting on and off the loo.

To be awarded DLA Care, you do not actually have to be receiving the care/help, it is whether the care/help is "Reasonably Required".

This has to be the case, or someone living alone without a helper/carer would not be able to receive a DLA Care Award.

With PIP, points are actually awarded for having to use aids and adaptations.

I would not worry too much about this, many many people have such aids/adaptations and still receive DLA Care.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris