× Members

Carers Allowance - "Does anyone live with you"

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129948 by Hiijinx
Hello all,

I received a carers allowance form from the DWP today to see if we met the requirements of Carers Allowance (CA) for which I have a question about.

It asks "Does anyone live with you" - now, somewhere I have a vague memory of it being quite technical in the wording - as no one lives with me, rather I live with them.

Does this mean the same thing?

Thanks again and sorry for the simple question,

Hiijinx
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #129955 by Gordon
Hiijinx

Are you sure this is a form for Carers Allowance?

I would not expect whether you have someone living for you to be relevant to CA and I have looked at the current CA claim form and cannot find this question!

Is there a form number on it, if there is it will be at the bottom of the page, usually the first or the last.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #129975 by Hiijinx
Hello Gordon,

Brainfog moment sorry - just read the letter again and its actually for Severe Disability Premium for my ESA, but underneath has "some questions are about CA" which I must have seen first.

Thanks for mentioning it! Don't know where I would be without this site.

Hiijinx

More
9 years 2 months ago #129980 by Gordon
Hiijinx

No problem, I had a suspicion that it was an IS10 in regard to SDP :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130024 by Hiijinx
Hello again,

So "does anyone live with you?" include myself living with someone else? - it offers son, foster-daughter, aunt, boarder, tenant and landlord in the suggestions, nothing about parents which I would have thought to be an obvious one.

I still seem to recall some legal difference between the two as I do not own the property and live with them - no one "lives with me".

Unsure what the difference in outcomes would be after looking into it in more detail so will try to explain and hope you can help.

My partner and I both receive ESA support group and PiP and live with my mother - who works 32 hours a week but is close to retirement age. The house is owned and pay no rent so do not pay her anything other than the usual helping out to spread costs - nothing official like they are asking in the form.

Is she classed as a "non-dependant" ? and require to work out her income band for deductions?

PS sorry if there is already a guide about this, if so I would be very grateful for a link!

Thanks again,

Hiijinx

More
9 years 2 months ago #130038 by Gordon
Hiijinx

The rules for the Severe Disability Premium require you to be living alone or considered to be living alone.

Treat the phrase "does anyone live you" literally, so are either the only person in the house/flat or you live with someone, you need to explain who each person is and your relationship to them; e.g parent, sibling, child, friend co-tenant, etc.

I would expect your mother for example to be classed as a non-dependant.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.