× Members

PIP Change of Circumstances

• Sarah
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133388 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic PIP Change of Circumstances
That's great, thanks for the advice and making it so clear, I will send a copy of my PIP Standard Mob award letter in to DWP towards my ESA SupersessIon as they already have a letter from my GP stating that I cannot walk more than 50m for the majority of the time. I used this same letter for my PIP application hence I guess that's why I got Standard Mobility but we are appealing the PIP award as I scored enough points on your test for enhanced for both components especially the mobility as I am mostly housebound and usually need my partner to take me out as most of the time I am not safe to drive due to my cognitive problems.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133390 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP Change of Circumstances

Sarah wrote: That's great, thanks for the advice and making it so clear, I will send a copy of my PIP Standard Mob award letter in to DWP towards my ESA SupersessIon as they already have a letter from my GP stating that I cannot walk more than 50m for the majority of the time. I used this same letter for my PIP application hence I guess that's why I got Standard Mobility but we are appealing the PIP award as I scored enough points on your test for enhanced for both components especially the mobility as I am mostly housebound and usually need my partner to take me out as most of the time I am not safe to drive due to my cognitive problems.

Hi S,

My advice was regarding how an SG Award under Activity 1. Mobilising may help with obtaining a Standard Rate PIP Mobility Award.

PIP "Moving Around" Mobility only assesses your "walking" capabilities.

ESA SG Actvity 1. Mobilsising not only assesses whether you can "walk" no more than 50 metres, it also assesses whether you could self propel a manual wheelchair unaided the same distance.

This is even if you have never owned, used or been advised to use a manual wheelchair.

See Activity 1/Descriptor 1. of : The Functional SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

"Activity :

1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used.

Descriptors :

1 Cannot either:

(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion."

So although the Standard PIP Mobility may cover your "walking" limitations, you would also have to show that you couldn't self propel a manual wheelchair unaided the same distance.

Have a read through our : ESA Claims Guides on grounds of physical medical conditions.

bro58

• Sarah
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133394 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic PIP Change of Circumstances
Thank you, they do like to play on words I have learnt. My GP letter to support my ESA Supersession stated the SG descriptor that I couldn't mobilise more than 50m for the majority of the time but did not specify whether this would include a wheelchair or not, just hope this does not go against me now, although I would struggle to do this repeatedly and in a reasonable able time even in a wheelchair, she also stated that I couldn't carry out two sequential tasks for the majority of the time too, fingers crossed it's enough :-/

• bro58
9 years 1 week ago #133400 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP Change of Circumstances

Sarah wrote: Thank you, they do like to play on words I have learnt. My GP letter to support my ESA Supersession stated the SG descriptor that I couldn't mobilise more than 50m for the majority of the time but did not specify whether this would include a wheelchair or not, just hope this does not go against me now, although I would struggle to do this repeatedly and in a reasonable able time even in a wheelchair, she also stated that I couldn't carry out two sequential tasks for the majority of the time too, fingers crossed it's enough :-/

Hopefully so S !

If not you can always go to appeal.

With SG Activity/Descriptors it is not just for the majority of the time, repeatedly, reliably and safely, it is on the majority of the occasions that you attempt the activity.

ESA Reg 34. (2) Applicable to Support Group :

“A descriptor applies to a claimant if that descriptor applies to the claimant for the majority of the time or, as the case may be, on the majority of occasions on which the claimant undertakes or attempts to undertake the activity described by that descriptor”

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/794/regulation/34/made

Also, any distance that you can mobilise, but suffer severe discomfort. pain, fatigue or breathlessness whilst doing so should not be counted when assessing the distance that you can mobilise.

Please keep us updated.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.