× Members

savings and contributional ESA

• medion4@live.co.uk
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #134850 by medion4@live.co.uk
savings and contributional ESA was created by medion4@live.co.uk
Hi,
My hubby has drawn down a partial lump sum down from his pension to help pay of debt and a new kitchen. Looking at your site this does not seem to affect my insurance contributional ESA or PIP. To be on the safe side I contacted DWP who noted this info on my records and I stated clearly it's my hubbies pension and not mine, he receives no benefits. Now they want proof debt paid off receipts statements and alsorts. Is this correct or was it enough just to advise them and the advisor has got it wrong asking for all this proof? Or have I missed something and it does make a difference to my benefits? Help please.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #134855 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic savings and contributional ESA
Hi Catherine,

Neither PIP nor Contributory ESA are means tested, it does not matter how much money you have in the bank. However, you are now in a difficult position as your ESA could be stopped if you do not supply information requested.

I would recommend that you phone DWP and ask for a call back from a supervisor (phone early to get a call-back the same day) and explain your situation. If they say that you do not need to supply the information, ask him/her to put this in writing for you!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 11 months ago #134860 by oldman
Replied by oldman on topic savings and contributional ESA
Received lump sum and early pension from work, informed dwp. Just had letter back, because savings over 16k esa, con based support group, reduced to £10.40 PER WEEK. Pension is 650 permonth.

More
8 years 11 months ago #134861 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic savings and contributional ESA

oldman wrote: Received lump sum and early pension from work, informed dwp. Just had letter back, because savings over 16k esa, con based support group, reduced to £10.40 PER WEEK. Pension is 650 permonth.

I would get someone to check your paperwork as the number you have mentioned don't add up.

Contribution Based ESA takes no account of your savings so there would be no reduction from that and although it is only a guessitimate I work out the deduction for your pension as just over £30 per week.

Do an internet search for "welfare" advice with your postcode, town or county to get a list of traied advisors in your area.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 11 months ago #134863 by oldman
Replied by oldman on topic savings and contributional ESA
Letter, and I quote: we cannot pay you because you and your partner have more than £16,000 in savings. Claim again if your savings decrease to £16,000 or less. Does claim again mean resubmit a new claim?

More
8 years 11 months ago #134868 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic savings and contributional ESA

oldman wrote: Letter, and I quote: we cannot pay you because you and your partner have more than £16,000 in savings. Claim again if your savings decrease to £16,000 or less. Does claim again mean resubmit a new claim?

This relates only to any Income Related ESA that you might be entitled to, perhaps for being in the Support Group which would normally mean you would be entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium but for you having over £16,000 in savings

Pension income is deducted from any ESA(CB) payments but there is an £85/week disregard and deductions are made at the rate of £1 for every £2.

So If your monthly pension payment is £650 per month then I estimate this to be £151.67 a week (£650 / 30 = £21.67 x 7 = £151.67). Minus the disregard is £66.67 (£151.67 - £85 = £66.67) so the deduction should be £33.33 (£66.67 / 2 = £33.33)

From what you have told us your deduction is closer to £100 a week.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.