× Members

ESA Reg 29 (2) (b) - what evidence can I give?

• Nina
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136523 by Nina
OK, I'm working on my own submission to send off (by email) on Monday... The DWP's sub includes 5 Atos medical reports - 2004 and 2009 (Incapacity Benefit), 2012, 2013, 2015. My ESA only got stopped after the Jan 2015 report. But looking through the others, I'm feeling really worried...

I can't see how I passed the 2013 examination - he doesn't seem to have applied any descriptors, including the non-functional descriptors/exceptional circumstances, and has written in the summary "...she is unlikely to have significant functional difficulty in mobilising, sitting or standing, reaching, picking up things and manual dexterity." This report also contains various statements about what I can manage each day that are totally untrue.

The 2012 report (this one was by a Dr) comes closest to an accurate description of my illness but says in the Prognosis section, "I advise that a return to work could be considered within 6 months." He did not apply any exceptional circumstances regs but did apply W(c) for Activity 1 - cannot mobilise/repeatedly mobilise 100 metres etc. This seems to be only 9 points?? So again I can't see how I passed this medical.

2004 was successfully challenged at an appeal back then; 2009 is shockingly inaccurate/untrue in numerous ways but resulted in my benefit (IB) being continued.

The question is, do I need to challenge the statements/findings/LIES! in any of these 4 older reports? Will the panel be taking any notice of them? Or do I just need to address the most recent one?

I'm arguing that Reg 29(2)(b) should apply, and I had thought that was how I'd passed the 2012 and 2013 assessments - now I see the reports I'm worried that it's going to be difficult to make that argument, as that Reg hasn't been used at all. Old IB Reg 27(b) was applied by the tribunal in 2005, but that seems too long ago to be relied on now. I do have a good letter from my GP explaining how working would be a serious risk to my health.

I was also going to make the argument that my condition is unchanged (don't the DWP have to prove it has changed if they previously awarded benefit?) but the old reports are so inconsistent I feel like that may be tricky - and obviously I don't want to say my condition is unchanged from 2013 when the report seemed to say I was fine!? :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136524 by Nina
Thanks, Petrocelli. FWIW, I called Duncan Lewis and they quoted £600 for submission only (no representation); it seemed like the person who was going to do the work was quite junior (he put me on hold to ask his supervisor something), and I wasn't convinced he had much expertise. I spoke to someone at a firm called Edwards Duthie, and he gave a lower price (£480) and sounded like a real ESA expert - but didn't have any appointments available until after my submission deadline. Looks like I'm going it alone!

More
8 years 10 months ago #136534 by Gordon
Nina

If the DWP have included old reports as part of their evidence then you do need to deal with them, if the reports have information that you want to rely on in your own submission then you will have to deal with the points individually, if there is nothing that you want to use and you are only going to present information in regard to Reg.29 then you might want to put forward the view that as the information is old, it is no longer relevant to your health as it is now. Obviously if you are relying on old evidence yourself then you may need to be selective about how you do this.

I'm guessing you missed my last post! Reg.29 operates differently from the other ESA Descriptors, the burden of proof always lies with the claimant and they must show that they (or others) would, on the balance of probabilities, have been at risk on the day of the Decision. Even if you can show that you met this criteria six months ago, if you cannot show that it is still the case then it is unlikely that you will be found to meet the criteria for an award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 10 months ago #136544 by Spaceman
Replied by Spaceman on topic ESA Reg 29 (2) (b) - what evidence can I give?
Nina, I'm certainly no expert so I'd caution you about relying on my advice without discussing it with a solicitor first but whilst trying to assist my friend I found some UTT decisions that might be useful to you.

Under Burden of Proof on this page summarising UTT decisions www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...n-making-and-appeals R(S)/3/90 suggests that at re-assessment the burden is on the DWP to show that the claimant is no longer entitled (which CSDLA/637/2006 seems to suggest means showing that the claimant's condition has improved compared to when he/she was previously entitled).

CSDLA/637/2006 and CSDLA/822/2006 also seem to suggest that where the DWP has failed to record why the claimant was entitled at the previous assessment (i.e. failed to score against the descriptors or failed to otherwise record what your condition was at that time that made you entitled), it will be especially hard for the DWP to demonstrate that there has been a relevant change of circumstances to justify withdrawing entitlement.

It's not clear why you were previously awarded ESA and Gordon is more knowledgeable than I, so it seems that if you were awarded it under Reg.29 then this burden of proof does not apply. If that wasn't the reason however (or they haven't properly recorded the reason), you may be able to argue that the DWP haven't established an improvement in your condition that would justify withdrawing your entitlement.

• Nina
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136617 by Nina
Replied by Nina on topic Last-minute question!
OK, putting the finishing touches to my submission to email it to HMCTS today... I've shown it to a relative who's a lawyer in another country, and he's asked whether it's possible to be found capable of part-time work, or working from home. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I'm guessing not, but what is the standard of work they're using to decide if you're capable of it? My dr thinks it's full-time work outside the home, but I wanted to check. Do I need to be making a case that any work at all, even an hour or two a week, perhaps done from home, is impossible? Thank you, everyone, for the advice!

More
8 years 10 months ago #136624 by Gordon
Nina

With one exception (see below) ESA does not directly test your ability to work, it looks at 18 areas of your daily activities to see whether you have problems and if you have sufficient difficulties then you are considered to have Limited Capability for Work.

The exception is Regulation 29 which from your previous posts you are basing your appeal on, however, even this does not consider the amount of work that you might do, but rather whether you would have problems doing any work. Also, you should take "any work" literally, ESA makes no assumptions as to the type of work you might do, if you were a labourer you could now work in an office, if an office worker you could now work as a chef, etc.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.