× Members

Too much money- ESA

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138485 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Too much money- ESA

PiperP wrote: I'm also butting in on this if you don't mind.

I have been getting the basic rate ESA since May 20012. I finally had my assessment interview just under two weeks ago. During the interview I was told that I was going to be recommended for the support group.

I have not had any letters informing me of the decision, this could be because where I live the post often gets put through the wrong door!

I checked my account today and two payments have gone in. One for £4712.91 and another for £3000. I was expecting an amount near to the first payment but the extra £3000 has confused and worried me slightly. Could anyone possibly help work this out.

My claim started from 10th May 2012. I am single, living on my own with no children. I also get housing benefit.

Hi PP,

It is really not ideal for several members to post their queries in the same topic, I will allow yours, but any other members that post on this topic will have their post moved to its own topic.

It would be near impossible for us to try and work out what monies you may be owed in back pay since 10/05/12, circa 154 weeks.

You have not even received written confirmation that you are in The SG in a form of an ESA Decision Notice Letter.

This letter should include a breakdown of the monies that you are entitled to, and you are entitled to the letter by law.

You should ring ESA :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA. (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

They should have your current ESA status on-screen and may be able to confirm whether or not you have been placed into The SG.

You could also request that they send you a Decision Notice Letter through the post and a written breakdown to cover all and any money owed.

If you have been placed into The SG, you will be entitled to The extra SG Component Addition from the beginning of week 14 of your claim (i.e circa week beginning 16/08/12)

You can check the Benefit Rates from April 2013 to date below :

Benefit payment dates

Any ESA Premiums such as The Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP) for being in The SG, and The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) for also being in receipt of a MR or HR Care DlA Award or a PIP Daily Living Award and fulfilling the other qualifying criteria would also be payable from the start date of your SG Award. (Start of week 14 of your claim)

(Although, if entitled, ESA Premiums can be paid in the assessment phase, prior to the start of week 14)

As advised earlier in this topic, you should put any monies that you consider to be an overpayment to one side until things are sorted out.

You may well receive a Decision Notice through the post over the coming days, as it is common to receive payment into the bank before you receive a letter explaining what it is.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138552 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic Too much money- ESA
The Mods know much more about this so this isn't in any way advice, but just to share my experience of something similar...

about 6 yrs ago during some payment date changes the DWP overpaid me by what I thought was £366, in what was essentially an admin error on their part.

I phoned & told them & they said they'd get back to me but never did. I wrote (sent recorded delivery) 3 times over the next 4months & they did NOTHING never heard a word from them. I rang again & they said I was wrong & all looked fine.

But I knew better so I kept the money in a separate account & didn't spend it...... & lo & behold nearly a year later!!!! I received a letter saying "we are writing to inform you of an overpayment of £482...." !!!! After screaming ''I KNOW!!!'' into my pillow, I contacted them again & told them the story & posted copies of the letters & postage receipts. When it was explained to me & I checked the paperwork it was indeed £482 that i'd been overpaid not £366. When I said i'd kept the £366 safe & not spent it & paid it back straight away, she was so pleased that she wrote off the rest.

I knew the £ wasn't mine & they'd eventually want it back despite their dilatory ways, so I just gave up trying to tell them & kept it safe, ready to pay back when necessary. I mean i'm sure i'd have had a good case not to pay it back after all that effort trying to let them know & being ignored, but it seemed unethical when I knew I wasn't entitled to it.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #138561 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Too much money- ESA

Camly91 wrote: The Mods know much more about this so this isn't in any way advice, but just to share my experience of something similar...

about 6 yrs ago during some payment date changes the DWP overpaid me by what I thought was £366, in what was essentially an admin error on their part.

I phoned & told them & they said they'd get back to me but never did. I wrote (sent recorded delivery) 3 times over the next 4months & they did NOTHING never heard a word from them. I rang again & they said I was wrong & all looked fine.

But I knew better so I kept the money in a separate account & didn't spend it...... & lo & behold nearly a year later!!!! I received a letter saying "we are writing to inform you of an overpayment of £482...." !!!! After screaming ''I KNOW!!!'' into my pillow, I contacted them again & told them the story & posted copies of the letters & postage receipts. When it was explained to me & I checked the paperwork it was indeed £482 that i'd been overpaid not £366. When I said i'd kept the £366 safe & not spent it & paid it back straight away, she was so pleased that she wrote off the rest.

I knew the £ wasn't mine & they'd eventually want it back despite their dilatory ways, so I just gave up trying to tell them & kept it safe, ready to pay back when necessary. I mean i'm sure i'd have had a good case not to pay it back after all that effort trying to let them know & being ignored, but it seemed unethical when I knew I wasn't entitled to it.

Hi C91,

As you had informed The DWP in writing of the suspected overpayment, and kept records of this they would have struggled to claw it back if you had wished to challenge them.

Obviously, you did not wish to challenge them and were quite happy to pay it back ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 9 months ago #139256 by Bryando
Replied by Bryando on topic Too much money- ESA
Hi,

The overpayment has been written off due to a computer error. So that is a relief!

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58, slugsta

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris