× Members

PIP Mandatory Review

• texmex
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #138351 by texmex
PIP Mandatory Review was created by texmex
I'm a bit confused, hoping you can clarify for me. I have received my award for PIP, I have been given Standard Rate Care, but only Standard Rate Mobility, and feel I should ask for a review of the Mobility, my month for submitting this request lapses on 2 August, so I need to push this on.
I've read through your guides, but under Mandatory Review, should I write giving details of where I think the Assessor has not taken all facts into consideration, ie it states that I can walk slowly for 30 mtrs, but I was holding onto my husband's arm during this time to steady me and I had to stop en route to the room where the assessment was carried out.
The decision maker states in their report: I walked slowly for 30 meters to consultation room and was able to get on the couch, although the assessor stated I was unable to get on the couch on several occasions.
I attended this assessment 2 weeks after having back surgery, which I'm still getting a lot of pain from, I also suffer from ME and Sleep Apnoea, so the Assessor never carried out the Musculoskeletal review.
There are a few things in the Assessors report which are inaccurate, but I'm unsure if I include all of it in the Mandatory Review, or if I deal with them at the Appeal stage if it goes that far?
Thanks for any help you can give on this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138357 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mandatory Review
Texmex

There is absolutely no value holding information or comment back for an appeal when it is available for the Mandatory Reconsideration, whilst the turnover rate for MR's is much lower than for appeals, they do happen and this is all about getting the right award as soon as possible.

If you believe that you merit a particular award then you should explain this either with your request for the MR or if you want some extra time to collect your thoughts you can let the DWP know that you will be sending in further information on the MR request, although I would only leave it 2-3 weeks to do so.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• texmex
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138362 by texmex
Replied by texmex on topic PIP Mandatory Review
Thanks for your reply, I have found a few discrepancies on the HP's completion of the form, it also states that the assessment was carried out in Edinburgh when in fact it was done 30 miles away from Edinburgh!!!

Since the assessment, my GP thinks it might be advisable for me to use a stick for walking, to try and steady me, should I add this into the Mandatory Review information?

Can anyone tell me what is 'five rounds of serial sevens'?, apparently I was able to complete this, but I'm unaware of what this is.

Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138365 by
Replied by on topic PIP Mandatory Review

texmex wrote: Thanks for your reply, I have found a few discrepancies on the HP's completion of the form, it also states that the assessment was carried out in Edinburgh when in fact it was done 30 miles away from Edinburgh!!!

Since the assessment, my GP thinks it might be advisable for me to use a stick for walking, to try and steady me, should I add this into the Mandatory Review information?

Can anyone tell me what is 'five rounds of serial sevens'?, apparently I was able to complete this, but I'm unaware of what this is.

Thanks

Hi tm,

Yes, you can highlight any discrepancies/inaccuracies in the HP report and pose counter arguments, but it is important that you reiterate how and why you should have been awarded the appropriate level of points for the applicable PIP Activities/Descriptors drawing reference to your stated limitations/disabilities.

You can inform them that you have been advised to use a stick for walking, but the distance that you can walk aided or unaided is taken into account, and only your limitations at the time of the assessment will be relevant.

"Serial 7's" seems to be some form of medical test for "mental functionality" :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_sevens

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

• texmex
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #143560 by texmex
Replied by texmex on topic PIP Mandatory Review
I am still awaiting my Mandatory Review to be dealt with, which is now 13 weeks, since my deadline to ask for it. I have phoned on a few occasions, was told it takes 9 weeks, then was told it takes up to 10 weeks, and now no one can tell me why my Review has not been looked at. When I phoned on Monday, I was told they would put a call back through, for someone to call me within 5 working days. My call back came yesterday afternoon, I had just come back from an hour of physio, and was feeling extremely tired, although the lady who called started asking me why I wanted a review, I did try to put my views across, but I felt I was being badgered by her..... ie, she states mobility component is made up of 2 parts, walking and planning a journey, when I tried to explain, that if I had to use public transport, I would fall asleep, so require someone with me, I suffer from ME, sleep apnoea and have back problems, she then went on to say, 'but you drive, so you're telling me you could fall asleep when your driving?' When I tried to explain, she insisted on asking another question, and I felt I couldn't cope, and asked her if my review could be looked at from my letter I had submitted 13 weeks previously, which I did not have a copy of to hand.
I also stated that I now use a stick to help me walk, but I was told, that the review would be based on the information that was given at the time of the assessment. She seemed to have an aggressive style of attitude, and when I explained I couldn't really think straight because of exhaustion, she said she would phone me back in a couple of days, I indicated that I didn't know if I'd be any better in a couple of days. Then, she asked if I had anymore evidence to submit to support my Review, which I stated I didn't, and she then said she would pass it on for Reconsideration, but could not give me a timescale.

Did I handle this in the right way?, by asking her to use my letter. I came off the phone feeling extremely drained.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143570 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mandatory Review
Texmex

Our experience on the forum is that very few MRs result in a revision of the Decision, whatever arguments are put forward, so I would not overly worry about the phone call. It's just frustrating that it has taken so long.

I'm pre-empting the result and cold of course be wrong, but I think it unlikely that they will change the Decision and you will need to think about making an appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.