× Members

Request for information risk?

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140123 by JediCP
Request for information risk? was created by JediCP
Are there any risks regarding sending the request for information form to the dwp? Will it trigger any assessments or reassessments?

I have a long history with the DWP, and now I'm older I would like to know what they know about me and how they made any decisions over the years.

Is there a postal address to send the form? Will I need to send individual forms for ESA and DLA?

How long does it usually take?
Is it free?

Also how easy would it be to get hold of hospital records regarding me, like a physical copy?
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140128 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Request for information risk?

JediCP wrote: Are there any risks regarding sending the request for information form to the dwp? Will it trigger any assessments or reassessments?

I have a long history with the DWP, and now I'm older I would like to know what they know about me and how they made any decisions over the years.

Is there a postal address to send the form? Will I need to send individual forms for ESA and DLA?

How long does it usually take?
Is it free?

Also how easy would it be to get hold of hospital records regarding me, like a physical copy?

Hi JCP,

Requesting your personal information from DWP should not put any of your existing benefit awards at risk.

Such request are known as Subject Access Requests (SAR) and are dealt with by The DWP Data Control Department rather than the Benefits Office that administers your benefits.

You can do this using a SAR Form :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the address of the Benefits Office/Centre dealing with your ESA or DLA on your most recent ESA/DLA letter.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

There is no charge for a SAR to The DWP !

Regarding requesting your G.P. or Hospital Records, there will be a variable charge, I believe the maximum charge per request is £50.

Requesting your medical records

&

See : Charging for medical records

A SAR for your G.P. records should be made at Reception of your G.P. Practice.

A SAR for your Hospital Records and any X-Ray, MRI, Radiology Imagery, etc carried out at the Hospital should be made to the appropriate Hospital.

First contact with the Hospital can be made through PALS. You will generally be sent a SAR Form to fill in and return They should then inform you of any charge that you may have to pay before they provide the Information/Imagery requested.

I believe that some Hospitals will wave or reduce some charges if you are in receipt of certain benefits, you should ask PALS about this possibility.

bro58

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140129 by JediCP
Replied by JediCP on topic Request for information risk?
Okay! Thanks! I've began to prepare for PIP. I've not being shouted yet however I feel if I can do a lot before hand it might help?

I'm seeing a consultant about my condition for the first time in 15 years. My DLA forms state I'm able to walk 25 meters and that my walking is unsteady and prone to falls.

I'm anticipating that this will cause me problems with PIP. Altough I have got a lot worse since my DLA app some 20 years ago.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140132 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Request for information risk?

JediCP wrote: Okay! Thanks! I've began to prepare for PIP. I've not being shouted yet however I feel if I can do a lot before hand it might help?

I'm seeing a consultant about my condition for the first time in 15 years. My DLA forms state I'm able to walk 25 meters and that my walking is unsteady and prone to falls.

I'm anticipating that this will cause me problems with PIP. Altough I have got a lot worse since my DLA app some 20 years ago.

Hi JCP,

Yes, it will help to be prepared as much as you can be !!

As you may know, qualifying for Enhanced PIP Mobility under The Moving Around Activity is more difficult than the qualification for HR DLA Mobility Component.

The main reason being that the "benchmark" distance has been reduced to 20 metres.

However, it is not simply whether you can walk the 20 metres, it is whether you can do so "Reliably" .

This is all explained in our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

You could also take our : PIP Self Test which may give you some idea which of the Activities you may score points under.

You will also find a summary of how the PIP points scoring system works on : This Page.

You could discuss The PIP Activities with your Consultant and ask them to make written comment on which of the PIP Activities they considers apply to you.

Remember, although historical evidence may help, you will be assessed for PIP on how your limitations/disabilities affect you at the time of the assessment.

For future reference, when seeing a Consultant as an Outpatient at one of their Hospital Clinics, you can make a verbal request that you are copied in on any post-clinic letters that the Consultant sends to your G.P.

There is no charge for this and no forms to fill in.

bro58

More
8 years 8 months ago #140136 by JediCP
Replied by JediCP on topic Request for information risk?
I'll do that :).

I have dyslexia which is a recent diagnosis. I have support from my university to help with proofing and I use a screen reader sometimes. Will this 'aid' be any good for a future pip app?

Also with dressing I need help more during morning than at any other time? Would I still score for this?

More
8 years 8 months ago #140146 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Request for information risk?

JediCP wrote: I'll do that :).

I have dyslexia which is a recent diagnosis. I have support from my university to help with proofing and I use a screen reader sometimes. Will this 'aid' be any good for a future pip app?

Also with dressing I need help more during morning than at any other time? Would I still score for this?

With regard the dyslexia, it will depend on where it effects you, for example does it impact on your ability to handle money? Do you have to take extra care with medicines? Then you might score for Making Decision About Money and Managing Treatments.

If you can show that you cannot "reliably" get dressed on the majority of days without assistance then you should score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.