× Members

Appointee Law

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141041 by QX81
Appointee Law was created by QX81
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if there is anywhere on the internet where I can find information regarding the LAW regarding appointees and their rights under the "law of the land".

I've searched high and low and can find vague references in various Social Security Legislation, and can find lots of information regarding "DWP guidance" and appointees, but it would appear that "guidance rules" made by a government organisation are very different to the actual LAW.

For such an important post with onerous implications, there seems to be very little hard facts that I can discover, and it almost seems to me that becoming an appointee is like entering into a game that has the complexities of cricket, where only one side knows the rules and is reluctant to tell the other, and when a dispute arises, that same side seems to make up the rules to suit themselves.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #141047 by
Replied by on topic Appointee Law

QX81 wrote: Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if there is anywhere on the internet where I can find information regarding the LAW regarding appointees and their rights under the "law of the land".

I've searched high and low and can find vague references in various Social Security Legislation, and can find lots of information regarding "DWP guidance" and appointees, but it would appear that "guidance rules" made by a government organisation are very different to the actual LAW.

For such an important post with onerous implications, there seems to be very little hard facts that I can discover, and it almost seems to me that becoming an appointee is like entering into a game that has the complexities of cricket, where only one side knows the rules and is reluctant to tell the other, and when a dispute arises, that same side seems to make up the rules to suit themselves.

Hi QX81,

You query is not really within the forum's remit !

However, does this help ? :

Becoming an Appointee for someone claiming benefits.

&

Power of Attorney

bro58

More
8 years 7 months ago #141051 by QX81
Replied by QX81 on topic Appointee Law
Apologies if this is not in the correct forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

As an appointee, I'm due to go to an appeals tribunal shortly and know from previous experience that it is the "law of the land" that counts most when the final decision is being made.

The problem I have is determining whether information published (say, on a government website) is "the law of the land" or "guidance rules".

For example, on the first link you gave, are the steps involved in becoming an appointee "set down in law" or are they "guidance rules"?

Incredibly confusing and probably impossible to answer, but very important in the final analysis ......

More
8 years 7 months ago #141055 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appointee Law
QX81

You may regret asking this :)

The GovUK pages are simply text on a web page and have no legal force whatsoever, after some digging Appointees appear to be covered under the Social Security Administration Act 1992 as amended, the Social Security Administration Act (Fraud) Act 1997 also appears to be applicable. See the following for a list of the legislation involved.

www.legislation.gov.uk/all?title=Social%...inistration%20Act%20

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 7 months ago #141068 by QX81
Thanks Gordon,

It almost seems as if you need to be a trained lawyer when it comes to volunteering to look after someone with a disability. You've confirmed what I thought.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141244 by QX81
Just as an update, the tribunal will be held in a couple of weeks time and the judge has directed that a Presenting Officer be in attendance due to the fact that he issued a direction notice requesting more information from the DWP within 21 days, which they subsequently failed to comply with.

Could be an interesting hour or so ....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.