× Members

Appointee Law

More
8 years 6 months ago #142549 by QX81
Replied by QX81 on topic Appointee Law
Just to update this thread, I attended the tribunal and was appalled to find that the DWP had ignored all the direction notices issued by the judge, did not send a presenting officer and did not supply the extra requested information that the judge had twice directed that they should.

The appeal judge was unable to make his decision on the day as he wanted to consider the evidence in front of him. The next day, I received a letter from the debt collection agency (written on the day of the tribunal) telling me that I had 14 days in which to pay the amount or they would start proceedings. This letter was obviously typed before the appeal outcome was known.

Two days later I received the decision from the tribunal judge that I had lost the appeal, even though he failed to explain a point of law ( a clause in the Social Security Act regarding overpayments recovery ) that I still believe means that I should have won the appeal.

So, the DWP ignore direction notices from the Tribunal service and press on regardless with recovery of any outstanding debt even before the appeal decision has been made.

It makes me wonder if the time and energy involved in going to appeal is actually worth the effort, as it appears that the DWP treats the service as a minor irritant which can be ignored at will.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142561 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appointee Law
QX81

Sorry to hear that your appeal was unsuccessful. You suggest that you do not believe the law was applied properly, this would be cause for an appeal to the UTT.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.