× Members

Received letter about ''severe disability premium'

More
8 years 6 months ago #142060 by jpg2502
today i received a letter saying 'we are sending you this form because you may be able to get extra money with your income support, JSA, or ESA'.

i recently got awarded standard PIP, so i am presuming this is why i have been sent the letter.

i have no idea what it is about or whether i would qualify, is it worth filling in the form ?

currently living with parents and theres a couple of questions in the form mentioning 'carers allowance', but nobody in the household claims carers allowance.

to be honest im really confused :S hoping someone here can shed some light ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142070 by Gordon
Jay

The Severe Disability Premium can be paid to claimants who have a DLA Medium or Higher rate Care, Attendance Allowance or PIP Daily Living award.

To be entitled to payment you need to be receiving an Income Related benefit such as Income Support, ESA(IR) or JSA(IR) AND you live alone or are considered to be living alone AND no one receives Carers Allowance for you.

If you live with your parents then you may not qualify, but if they receive any of the benefits in my first paragraph then they should not be considered as living with you for the purposes of SDP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142110 by annie-rose
Hi Gordon,

I was just wondering- I got the same letter after being awarded PIP last year but as I was living with my parents (and unable to complete the form without help) I didn't send it in.

During the summer my brother looked after me at our parents house and as he had just finished his undergraduate degree he claimed Carer's allowance for a couple of months. Now we are both living in the same city, I'm now living away from home, my brother is caring for me but doesn't claim carer's allowance because he's a full-time postgraduate student.

I don't receive Severe/Enhanced Disability Premium with my ESA and was just wondering whether it's best to ask my Dad to phone up about it now? Or whether it's better just to get the Health assessment out of the way first?

More
8 years 6 months ago #142118 by Gordon

Ellie wrote: Hi Gordon,

I was just wondering- I got the same letter after being awarded PIP last year but as I was living with my parents (and unable to complete the form without help) I didn't send it in.

During the summer my brother looked after me at our parents house and as he had just finished his undergraduate degree he claimed Carer's allowance for a couple of months. Now we are both living in the same city, I'm now living away from home, my brother is caring for me but doesn't claim carer's allowance because he's a full-time postgraduate student.

I don't receive Severe/Enhanced Disability Premium with my ESA and was just wondering whether it's best to ask my Dad to phone up about it now? Or whether it's better just to get the Health assessment out of the way first?

If you now meet the criteria then there is no reason why you should not make a claim for the Premiums, it should be backdated to the earliest point at which you met all of the criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142144 by jpg2502

Gordon wrote: Jay

The Severe Disability Premium can be paid to claimants who have a DLA Medium or Higher rate Care, Attendance Allowance or PIP Daily Living award.

To be entitled to payment you need to be receiving an Income Related benefit such as Income Support, ESA(IR) or JSA(IR) AND you live alone or are considered to be living alone AND no one receives Carers Allowance for you.

If you live with your parents then you may not qualify, but if they receive any of the benefits in my first paragraph then they should not be considered as living with you for the purposes of SDP.

Gordon

''may not'' qualify? is it not black and white WILL NOT qualify? i have to ask as i do not understand what this benefit is.
i live with parents however, i have just found out my mother claims the low rate DLA, she is very ill, though i always presumed the only income was from my father working.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142164 by Gordon

jay wrote: ''may not'' qualify? is it not black and white WILL NOT qualify? i have to ask as i do not understand what this benefit is.
i live with parents however, i have just found out my mother claims the low rate DLA, she is very ill, though i always presumed the only income was from my father working.

There are exceptions to the living with someone rule, if the person is also receiving a qualifying benefit, but this does not seem to be the case as your mother is only receiving lower rate DLA and your father is not receiving anything at all.

Gordon

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.