× Members

ESA medical assessment was not recorded.

More
8 years 5 months ago #145717 by TheHud
Replied by TheHud on topic ESA medical assessment was not recorded.
Oh Dear! This is just awful :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #145731 by Rocket
Replied by Rocket on topic ESA medical assessment was not recorded.

Gordon wrote:

Ronnie wrote: [ I got 4 points on mobility side regarding pip. Does pip use the same criteria as ESA regarding that I can use a weelchair rather then walking to get past 200 metres before I need to stop due to pain and exhaustion .

No! PIP tests the claimants ability to stand and then walk, usage of a wheelchair is not considered in anyway, also the walking distances are different from ESA.

Gordon

What do you mean by the walking distances are different from ESA ? I have told both PIP and ESA I can walk between 150 to 200 meters before I need to stop and rest a while due to exhaustion because of pain. That the walking distances get shorter and shorter and my walking gets slower.

• bro58
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145808 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA medical assessment was not recorded.

Ronnie wrote:

Gordon wrote:

Ronnie wrote: [ I got 4 points on mobility side regarding pip. Does pip use the same criteria as ESA regarding that I can use a weelchair rather then walking to get past 200 metres before I need to stop due to pain and exhaustion .

No! PIP tests the claimants ability to stand and then walk, usage of a wheelchair is not considered in anyway, also the walking distances are different from ESA.

Gordon

What do you mean by the walking distances are different from ESA ? I have told both PIP and ESA I can walk between 150 to 200 meters before I need to stop and rest a while due to exhaustion because of pain. That the walking distances get shorter and shorter and my walking gets slower.

Hi R,

If you have told PIP that you can walk 150-200 metres before having to stop, that is why they have given you 4 points.

2. Moving around.

a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.

b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.

c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.

d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.

e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.

f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
(i) stand; or
(ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

Did you use our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page) before filling in your PIP Forms ?

See also : PIP Self Test

For ESA, being assessed as being able to "Mobilise" the same distance that you have stated would result in 6 points.

1 (a) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 50 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion

or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 15 points.

1 (b) Cannot mount or descend two steps unaided by another person even with the support of a handrail. 9 points.

1 (c) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 100 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 100 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 9 points.

1 (d) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 200 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 200 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 6 points.

1 (e) None of the above apply. 0 points.

To be awarded ESA Support Group (SG) for "Mobilising", you have to fulfil Descriptor 1 (a) (i) or (ii) of : The Functional WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Descriptors which corresponds to Activity 1 of : The Functional SG (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Descriptors

So for an Enhanced PIP Mobility Award under "Moving Around" the "Walking" distance is 20 metres or less, for an ESA SG Award, the "Mobilising" distance is 50 metres or less.

See also : ESA Self Test.

&

ESA Claims Guides

ESA and PIP are different benefits with different qualifying criteria.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146840 by Rocket
Hi bro58. No I did not look at any guides before I filled in PIP or ESA . At the time I did not know about the points system. Regarding standing and sitting I told them I can manage either for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour but due to pain flare up I then have to lie down either in bed or fully reclined disability electronic chair for a couple of hours to bring the pain down. Should I get any points for this ?

More
8 years 4 months ago #146855 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical assessment was not recorded.

Ronnie wrote: Hi bro58. No I did not look at any guides before I filled in PIP or ESA . At the time I did not know about the points system. Regarding standing and sitting I told them I can manage either for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour but due to pain flare up I then have to lie down either in bed or fully reclined disability electronic chair for a couple of hours to bring the pain down. Should I get any points for this ?

If you look at the ESA Claim guide you will see that the test involves you standing and/or sitting for a period at a workstation without having to move away due to significant discomfort.

It's not clear from your post whether you can do both these activities or whether it is only one, but the fact that you say you can do this for up to an hour would suggest that at best you might score 6 points and possibly none if the period you describe in your post is for one and not both. You can argue repeatability but given that you are already at the bottom end of the points this may still not be enough for an award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #155985 by Rocket

Gordon wrote:

Ronnie wrote: Hi bro58. No I did not look at any guides before I filled in PIP or ESA . At the time I did not know about the points system. Regarding standing and sitting I told them I can manage either for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour but due to pain flare up I then have to lie down either in bed or fully reclined disability electronic chair for a couple of hours to bring the pain down. Should I get any points for this ?

If you look at the ESA Claim guide you will see that the test involves you standing and/or sitting for a period at a workstation without having to move away due to significant discomfort.

It's not clear from your post whether you can do both these activities or whether it is only one, but the fact that you say you can do this for up to an hour would suggest that at best you might score 6 points and possibly none if the period you describe in your post is for one and not both. You can argue repeatability but given that you are already at the bottom end of the points this may still not be enough for an award.

Gordon

Hi Gorden.....I won my ESA appeal with 15 points regarding (a) At least once a month experiences (I) Los of control leading to extensive evacuation of bowel and/or voiding of the bladder; Or (ii) substantial leakage of the contents of a collecting device sufficient to require cleaning and a change of clothing. Mine was the bowel problem due to cecum bowel cancer operation. I was put in the support Group. Now I understood I might get 15 points but I did not expect to be put in the support Group . Now the tribunal focused on this first and sent me out the room when I wanted to tell them all my other medical issues. But they was not interested in them. Why was that because they would have given me a lot more points ?
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon. Reason: Fixed quote

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.