× Members

Phone calls and phone numbers.

• ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #142829 by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Phone calls and phone numbers. was created by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Hi B+W.

Just a quick ask, doe's one have to supply phone numbers and or accept calls from the DWP.
As my preference is not to give numbers or accept any calls from them, I prefer to have contact in writing only so I have a trail of evidence if needed.

Thanks.

I was formely known as (GoingOffMyHeadWithThisGovernment) Won PIP November 2017 ongoing award HR both. Now kept and got my ESA Support group but took a while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142838 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Phone calls and phone numbers.
There is no law that says claimants must have a phone.

You can always respond to a letter by sending one back and state you have no phone number to give if asked for one.

• apricot
8 years 6 months ago #142846 by apricot
Replied by apricot on topic Phone calls and phone numbers.
If you have to appeal, be aware that if a representative puts a phone number for you on the form for the HMCTS, it gets passed to the DWP. My mobile was on the form, and the DWP has used it, but just to send texts that are helpful (so far).

• ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #142851 by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Replied by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar on topic Phone calls and phone numbers.

foss27 wrote: There is no law that says claimants must have a phone.

You can always respond to a letter by sending one back and state you have no phone number to give if asked for one.

Foss27.
I thought that was the case but you never know they seem to change the rules as they go along, you say no phone they say no benefit.

I do not cope talking to strangers on a phone because if I get negative response I cannot deal with it, so I prefer to get my stuff in wrighting.

I was formely known as (GoingOffMyHeadWithThisGovernment) Won PIP November 2017 ongoing award HR both. Now kept and got my ESA Support group but took a while.

• apricot
8 years 6 months ago #142889 by apricot
Replied by apricot on topic Phone calls and phone numbers.
I have never given the DWP a phone number, and have always just written that I can't cope with the stress of it.

If I gave them a phone number, I wouldn't answer the phone to anyone in case it was them.

I think someone on the forum pointed out that if you did ever receive a phone call from them, you could just say, "I can't cope with this. Please write".

One problem with phone calls is that, while they have relevant information in front of them, you probably don't, and you may not have been sent the relevant information yet (for example, if they are ringing before sending a bad result to do with an assessment). So you would be at a disadvantage in that you wouldn't be able to see and respond to what they have in front of them. The scale of that disadvantage became clear to me when I saw the HCP report from the face-to-face assessment. I really think they should send the report before phoning.

Also, if you have difficulty taking in information over the phone, they don't seem to allow for this. Because of difficulties with memory and concentration, I find the phone hard (I constantly write notes to help with this). If someone speaks too quickly, or doesn't pause after each phrase, I have to ask them to slow down or stop frequently. Some people seem to find it very hard to allow time and space for this, which is very frustrating. When there is also even a slightly unfamiliar accent, it takes a bit longer to work out what someone has just said, before writing notes.

Another problem with phone calls is that they can leave you feeling very distressed, confused and unsafe, ruminating endlessly.

I think the DWP should adapt to our needs and have a written alternative to phone calls, or at the very least, accept a call from us at a time of our choosing, so that it fits with what we can manage at any time, and so that we can have relevant information to hand.

It seems to me unfair that they imply that you have lost an opportunity to respond to them before the Decision Maker's decision by not giving a phone number.

It is so handicapping to receive a call out of the blue when you have a fluctuating condition and poor memory and concentration.

They haven't said "no benefit" in response to no phone number to me yet,
although they don't like sending documents I request without being able to ring me.

Someone else on the forum made a good point about only dealing with the DWP in writing so that there is a paper trail.

Best wishes.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142895 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Phone calls and phone numbers.
I think a paper trail is so much better than phone for all the reasons stated above but it has also been my experience that phone operatives say one thing and write something else on the screen so when another person phones or you phone the record on the screen is not what was said and you then have to demand that they get out the recording because they will never, never accept that you are right and someone wrote lies on the screen!!!

It would seem obvious to me that a professional operative with a screen full of facts has the advantage when ringing a vulnerable person without warning and because such people are always under pressure to make x number of calls, speak to x number of people they rarely take the time to discuss things or give the person chance to get their papers.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.