× Members

ESA help please

• Maggie1
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143153 by Maggie1
ESA help please was created by Maggie1
Hi all
I was claiming ESA and at the time of claiming I was living with my daughter.
I have now moved back in with my husband and I let them know so they sent me a new form.
This coincided with my assessment from which I was put into the support group.
They then sent me two letters, One said they will no longer pay ESA as my husband works more than 24 Hours a week. The other said will no longer pay it as I do not have any contributions paid. I was a carer from 2010 until last May so I thought my contribution was being paid for me.
I'm really confused, this was in September and it upset me so much I couldn't cope with trying to do something about it so I am only now thinking this can't be right.
I have been deemed unfit to work but they won't pay me anything.
Has anyone had a similar predicament or know what I should do next?
Sorry it.s such a long post.
Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143166 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic ESA help please
Any notification of a benefit decision should include what to do if you think the decision is wrong.
There should be an appeal process against the decision but usually there is a time limit.
ESA is means tested and contributions based. It could be that your husband eanrs over the threshold for getting means tested ESA or you have not got enough contributions. Any notification from 2010 onwards should have stated whether you were getting credits for NI as part of your benefit entitlement.
Sorry if its complicated but thats the DWP for you.
Maybe others can offer clarification.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143179 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA help please
Maggie

Just to add to the advice already given.

Carers Allowance pays NI Credits, not Contributions so these cannot be used on their own to meet the Contribution requirements for ESA(CB), however, there is a relaxation of these conditions if you have been previously claiming CA.

ESA Reg.8

(2) The conditions referred to in paragraph (1) are that the claimant—

(a) was entitled to a carer’s allowance in the last complete tax year immediately preceding the relevant benefit year;

From your post you appear to meet the requirement, the Tax Year for 2015 will be 2013-14.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie1

More
8 years 6 months ago #143190 by Ultramarine
Replied by Ultramarine on topic ESA help please
Mrs. Hurtyback referred me here from another thread I opened about someone receiving CA but who previously qualified for CB ESA. When he partner's income took them over the threshold as a family unit, she continued to have an entitlement to ESA but received no funds. Now they are separating and she doesn't know whether or not to claim Income-based or Contribution. Mrs. HB has given me some valuable information already, but can I just ask something about the relaxation you speak of?

If my friend has been a CA recipient for the full tax year before applying for ESA in future (she has not yet moved out of the family home and continues to receive CA for the soon-to-be ex-partner), how does the relaxation affect her application? Does it mean they consider the NI credits like contributions, then? Or have I misunderstood your post?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143194 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA help please
If your friend was getting CA during the year 2013 - 2014 she might qualify for contributory ESA - although, once she has left her partner, she will probably qualify for income-related anyway.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143195 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA help please

Ultramarine wrote: Mrs. Hurtyback referred me here from another thread I opened about someone receiving CA but who previously qualified for CB ESA. When he partner's income took them over the threshold as a family unit, she continued to have an entitlement to ESA but received no funds. Now they are separating and she doesn't know whether or not to claim Income-based or Contribution. Mrs. HB has given me some valuable information already, but can I just ask something about the relaxation you speak of?

If my friend has been a CA recipient for the full tax year before applying for ESA in future (she has not yet moved out of the family home and continues to receive CA for the soon-to-be ex-partner), how does the relaxation affect her application? Does it mean they consider the NI credits like contributions, then? Or have I misunderstood your post?

From your other posts there appear to be two issues rather than one effecting your friends ESA.

As Mrs H has said, if they were not in the Support Group then their ESA(CB) payments would have been limited to 365 days. They can make a new claim for ESA(CB) (see below), but this will at best only offer a further 365 days of payments if they are not placed in the SG.

This situation may be further complicated if the DWP require them to close any current claim before they make a new one as doing this will break any links to their current claim, in short it will be all of nothing (in regards to ESA(CB)).

The second issue appears to be the prevention of payment of Income Related ESA due to the husband's income or hours worked. If they are now separated then this impediment should have now been removed.

My advice is to first pursue the payment of ESA(IR) this will require them to complete an ESA3 form about their finances which they can get from the ESA office dealing with their claim. This option is risk free and unless she has other sources of income should pay the same as ESA(CB).

If she does receive other income then ESA(CB) may result in a higher payment (for the year) but they would need to be very sure that they would qualify before going down that route.

They also need to be aware of the possibility of their ESA being re-assessed, this will certainly be the case for a new claim and the re-instatement of their current claim may well result in a re-assessment being started.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.