× Members

ESA help please

More
8 years 6 months ago #143200 by Ultramarine
Replied by Ultramarine on topic ESA help please
Right, I *think* I understand - thank you both. This is a huge help.

I have now asked her in another text to find out when she started her CA claim in advance of her calling me if possible (in response to Mrs. HB's post).

I think she was in WRAG while still on CB ESA because although a while ago now, I do seem to remember it coming to an end. I can't remember if she then tried to claim IR ESA, but can recall the DWP saying she had an entitlement but her partner's pensions from his jobs before his arthritis got too bad took the family income over the threshold, which seems to indicate she probably did (based on Gordon's reply).

She received nothing for a while except the child benefits and was later advised by a charity to claim CA, because as his condition got worse, she was having to take over more and more care responsibilities such as cooking for him all the time, cleaning, helping him dress etc.

This is why we are unsure how to proceed - now he wants out, she's not sure where she stands with ESA and/or which to apply for when the time comes to move out. By the sounds of it, IB would definitely be the safer/less risky option, correct?

Supplementary question: are there any advantages to claiming CB over IB if it turns out she was in recepit of CA between 2013-2014 and might still qualify for CB or is your advice to apply for IB regardless of her former entitlement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Maggie1
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143201 by Maggie1
Replied by Maggie1 on topic ESA help please
Thank you for your advice.
I contacted the DWP and they explained that, as I claimed CB ESA for 1 year and that I am now living back with my husband, I am not entitled to any payment other than NI Credits.
I cannot work due to mental health problems and partly physical, am I right in thinking I should apply for PIP? Sorry but this is all new to me and I don't really understand it all.
Thanks again

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143206 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic ESA help please
If you think you qualify for any PIP you should probably apply.

You can use the guides on here to help you fill in the forms.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143210 by Ultramarine
Replied by Ultramarine on topic ESA help please
I agree with the previous respondent - the qualifying criteria for PIP are not the same as for ESA. It is also not means-tested. Both employed and unemployed people can receive PIP. This is in contrast to ESA, which is a means-tested, out-of-work benefit for the sick and disabled in lieu of a wage. The able-bodied equivalent is Jobseeker's.

If it helps, think of PIP and its predecessor DLA (currently being phased out to make way for PIP across the board) more as a supportive benefit for those with long-term health issues that won't improve within a few months. It is a reflection of the fact that such individuals tend to have higher expenses regardless of employment status.

For example, someone with lifelong paralysis might require a special type of car/wheelchair/walking aid or an individual with learning disabilities who needs assistance with personal care/paperwork etc. These people may or may not be in work, which is what ESA is all about. PIP is more about the requisite essentials, if that makes sense? This is also why your living status should make no difference.

I strongly suggest that you check out the criteria for PIP and if you think you have a case for any level of award, apply at your earliest convenience using the excellent guides on the site. Good luck and sorry for the slight thread hijack earlier. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie1

More
8 years 6 months ago #143212 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA help please

Ultramarine wrote: Supplementary question: are there any advantages to claiming CB over IB if it turns out she was in recepit of CA between 2013-2014 and might still qualify for CB or is your advice to apply for IB regardless of her former entitlement?

Making a claim for ESA(IR) should be easier as it should not involve a new claim, just the reactivating of the old one. If they are still receiving CA then they will also receive the Carers Premium.

If they have other income (not CA), then ESA(CB) may be a better alternative financially, however, it will have to be a new claim and the DWP may insist on them breaking their claim by more than 12 weeks for them to do this. As a new claim they will only be entitled to the Assessment rate for the first 13 weeks and there will definitely be a new ESA50 and likely a face to face.

If they need a better understanding of the options then I'm afraid they will have to get face to face advice as we are at the limit of what we can do on the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Maggie1
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #143390 by Maggie1
Replied by Maggie1 on topic ESA help please
Thanks again for your advice.
I do have a couple of questions now that that has been cleared up.
Do I have to send in my 'well notes' now that I have been put into the support group?
My next question is about dental treatment, I don't get the IR ESA payment due to hubby working full time but does this mean I will have to pay for dental treatment or can I get this free?
Sorry if the answers are on this site but I have trouble finding my way around.
:(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.