× Members

Good News I Hope

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #146109 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic Good News I Hope
This is the letter I wrote: (I took some names out)

Dear $&$

I am writing to you because I am very concerned about how recent changes to welfare benefits are impacting upon disabled people and their carers.

I am a brain injury survivor and a member of your constituency. I was granted a life time award for Disability Living Allowance in 1997 and my condition has remained largely unchanged as was predicted.

Since my accident at the age of fourteen, I have relied on a great deal of help from other people with regards to my daily living skills and mobility. However, after being invited to apply for Personal Independence Payment, and subsequently attending a recent face-to-face assessment with Atos Healthcare, it was judged by a DWP decision maker that I scored no points and need no help at all.

I have now given up my one-evening-a week-college course because I can no longer afford to pay for someone to accompany to and from my class; I can also no longer afford to go next door to Caffe Nero (the only place I can consistently get to without a carer) for a cup of tea. These things may not sound like particularly large sacrifices, but they provided my carer with much needed respite and I strongly believe they are an indication of the way that the current system for assessing the needs of disabled people is failing:

By it's own definition PIP is 'a benefit for people who have a physical or mental disability and need help participating in every day life or find it difficult to get around'. It's purpose was to help with the extra costs that arise from having a disability or health condition.

I am very lucky that $%%$%^ have agreed to represent me in my fight to reclaim this benefit. However, there are thousands of other vulnerable people in similar situations to me who do not have the tenacity to go through an appeal process.

Regardless of my own personal outcome I would very much like to push for change.

Is there any way that you could help me?

Yours Sincerely

Lynsey

PS I would be very keen to attend one of your surgeries if possible
PPS I have enclosed the recent letter of complaint I sent to Atos

He has said he would be very happy to write to DWP regarding the points that I have made. And that he'll reply to me when he gets a response from them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bubbles
8 years 4 months ago #146119 by bubbles
Replied by bubbles on topic Good News I Hope
I would like to say Lynsey that your letter is very well written and I am positive echoes the concerns of many people.

I hope that your mp takes the time to read it, maybe raise it in the house of commons, but most importantly, helps you to gain the award of PIP that you are entitled to. And quite frankly an apology from the person who did your assessment that would say that a person in your position would require no help, it's outrageous and IDS et all should not be able to sleep at night!!!

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that this does not take too long to resolve.

I know it is of little conciliation, but there are a lot of us in this sinking boat and we need to fight for all of us!!!

B xx

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #146141 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic Good News I Hope
Thanks Bubbles.

I am unfortunately going to have to write another letter to mp updating him on the recent correspondence I've received from Atos (I talk about this in my recent post 'atos investigation and my day from hell'). I did not want to make a big deal out of the fact that the people Atos are employing ill-equipped to deal with complex medical problems however, I do feel it needs to be addressed.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.