× Members

PIP dressing lower body

More
8 years 5 months ago #146296 by micksville
PIP dressing lower body was created by micksville
In light of recent proosed changes to pip descriptors re aids and appliances. I remember reading ages ago somewhere on b and w that inability to tie shoelaces was not going to be taken into account by DM's for pip. However, your latest advice on pip, august 2015 seems to suggest otherwise. I wonder if members or b and w could clarify whether inability to actually tie shoelaces would allow the claimant to tick the needs assistance dressing lower body descriptor. I ask this as due to other issues I find slip on shoes unsatisfactory due to circulation problems as they are tight fitting by nature. I have a severe deformity in my lower leg with poor flexion and advanced arthritis in my knee, meaning I can neither straighten nor bend my leg very well, coupled with secondaty back issues dressing my lower body prives difficult on my own. I do use sock aids but the shoe issue is a problem, my daughter usually helps with that.Any advice on dwp view of this would bd welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #146297 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP dressing lower body
Hi

As with all PIP responses, the best thing to do is explain as fully as possible how your illness affects your ability to carry out certain processes - in your case managing to put on shoes. You could provide as much 'back-up' information from your Consultant/GP as is available, and include it with your application. The more information you can provide, the better your chances of success. You then have to wait and see whether your dis-ability is enough to grant you the points you feel you are entitled to. No two people are the same, and even with the same illness, no two people will be able to cope in the same way. This, I suppose, is why decision makers get it wrong at times - they assume we are all the same and should all react in the same way to the same problem. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

More
8 years 5 months ago #146298 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic PIP dressing lower body
Thanks Shelam.....I already have submissions ready and printed out but in light of these new consulations I wondered whether dwp will try and press everyone to just use aids like elastic shoe laces etc in order that they can say no assistance is needed. I do use aids and adaptations for other descriptors though I still need intervention from others even with those, but dressing lower body seems a grey area in some ways.....

More
8 years 5 months ago #146303 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP dressing lower body

micksville wrote: Thanks Shelam.....I already have submissions ready and printed out but in light of these new consulations I wondered whether dwp will try and press everyone to just use aids like elastic shoe laces etc in order that they can say no assistance is needed. I do use aids and adaptations for other descriptors though I still need intervention from others even with those, but dressing lower body seems a grey area in some ways.....

The important thing is that these are consultations, at this time there have been no changes to the PIP Descriptors or the assessment guidance, any Decision based on the proposed changes, of which there are many, would be an Error of Law.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #146309 by mommaduck
Replied by mommaduck on topic PIP dressing lower body
Just to add in my 'two pennoth'.

Even if the time did come when assessors state that elastic shoe laces are the answer: Surely that then is stating that we have to wear shoes that only allow elastic shoe laces. Elastic shoe laces stretch allowing shoes to slip, anyway.

I wear boots to stabilise my ankle joints but in any case, I would wear boots/fashion boots because that is my choice.

Just because I/we am disabled should I/we not wear what I/we want to wear and not what is 'easy' to wear? Hells, Bells they will be having us all wear a uniform next..anyone for the workhouse springs to mind! :sick:

More
8 years 5 months ago #146310 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP dressing lower body

mommaduck wrote: Just to add in my 'two pennoth'.

Even if the time did come when assessors state that elastic shoe laces are the answer: Surely that then is stating that we have to wear shoes that only allow elastic shoe laces. Elastic shoe laces stretch allowing shoes to slip, anyway.

I wear boots to stabilise my ankle joints but in any case, I would wear boots/fashion boots because that is my choice.

Just because I/we am disabled should I/we not wear what I/we want to wear and not what is 'easy' to wear? Hells, Bells they will be having us all wear a uniform next..anyone for the workhouse springs to mind! :sick:

From the PIP Assessment guide

his activity assesses a claimant’s ability to put on and take off culturally appropriate, un-adapted clothing that is suitable for the situation. This may include the need for fastenings, such as zips or buttons and considers the ability to put on/take off socks and shoes.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.