× Members

PIP assesment -transport and emergency worries.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148785 by helsbelsx
Hi,

I have been invited for a re-assessment for PIP a year before my current award is due to expire and they said as they made a paper based assessment last time they will need to invite me in for a face to face assessment this time. Well one person at dwp says one thing, one days another!!

I was ok with having a home assessment although the anxiety from that would have made me ill for a few days before and on the day, but ATOS haven't even considered my request (and won't - i have repeatedly asked then and the dwp) and have put me down for a face to face assessment at an assessment centre about 45mins drive from my home.

I had a break down on the phone to the guy from ATOS who was actually quite kind and said they would accept to reimburse a taxi etc due to my anxiety about using public transport and driving somewhere I have never been before.

But i'm worried an anxious how long the assessment will take, what if I am sick on the day, what if i'm so anxious I feel I can't go, then they will disallow my claim. I am worried they will run late, I am panicking that my son will have a break down at school (he has autism and adhd) and it will take me 35 to 40mins to get to him in a distressed state myself. I have told them this but they said I haven't got enough medical evidence for a home assessment despite me offering them reports showing how I am often suicidal in nature and a self-harmer etc etc. I know this is all part of my illness, and the worry is making my anxiety and chronic fatigue worse but I can't help the worry. They couldn;t even give me the number for the assessment centre I am going to to tell me whether they have a list of taxi companies that can get me home. I am anxious I am going to get stuck in the middle of london for hours whilst my son is at school also anxious and panicking. Everyone at atos and dwp have been quite kind every time I have rung which is the only blessing and only thing keeping me going, I am just praying the person doing my assessment is just as kind and understanding.

Basically I have no choice but to go. I was going to ask someone to come with me but friends have said that it may be better I go alone so they get to see a true reflection of what I am like on an journey going to somewhere I have never been before and dealing with face to face assessment. As if I go with someone, I think i'll feel completely different, not anywhere near as anxious as I know they will somehow get us home, help me answer the questions etc. If I am forced to go alone likelihood is that I will cry, need to use the toilet to be sick, be physcially shaking with nerves etc. My friends think it may be good for them to see this but obviously its not great for my mental health. I guess short term pain long term gain? Whats the recommendation on here?

I have submitted masses of paper based evidence of all my problems, feels like they need to see me physically break down to believe it all and its all quite degrading and embarrassing :(

One other question - My current award is due to expire in Dec 2016 hense the renewal. The lady at dwp I spoke to said that if the assessment says I am no longer entitled to pip it is stopped with immediate effect. There decision overrides the original decision that is should go on til dec 2016. Will that mean I need to backpay any money they have paid me?

Equally if I go from normal care to enhanced does that happen immediately or does that happen in december 2016? Do they backpay the money from when they sent the assesment forms out or from when they did my medical?

Really confused and worried :( any advice would be great, thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #148793 by foss27
Hi
The 16th December date is no longer relevant.
You will be assessed and have to appeal if you lose any award. You will get another payment after notification and definitely not have to pay anything back.
Usually its best to have someone accompany you. If you break down and can't complete the assessment they may treat it as a fail and return the papers to the DWP. If this happens you will have to appeal as they will stop your money.
You can read stories on here of people refused a home assessment and experiences at assessment which may help you decide.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148795 by helsbelsx
Replied by helsbelsx on topic PIP assesment -transport and emergency worries.
Thank you.

So the new date is when the new decision is made? For example if it upped or taken away or all together, it happens on the day the decision maker makes their decision, rather than the day I sent off the evidence and stuff? I am just anxious I will end up owing them money. This definitely isn't possible? None of this is really explained on the forms!!

Have had a read on the forums of people that have/haven't taken people with them - seems like there is pros and cons to both and either way the assessor will try and con you to be on 'there' side and then write factually incorrect info about you... i'm seriously worrying after reading some of the threads on here about the sort of stuff they could say.

Does all the paper work I submitted from other health professionals with their opinions etc get sent off to the decision maker? Or is the main thing now going to be this face to fac
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148819 by

Helen wrote: Thank you.

So the new date is when the new decision is made? For example if it upped or taken away or all together, it happens on the day the decision maker makes their decision, rather than the day I sent off the evidence and stuff? I am just anxious I will end up owing them money. This definitely isn't possible? None of this is really explained on the forms!!

Have had a read on the forums of people that have/haven't taken people with them - seems like there is pros and cons to both and either way the assessor will try and con you to be on 'there' side and then write factually incorrect info about you... i'm seriously worrying after reading some of the threads on here about the sort of stuff they could say.

Does all the paper work I submitted from other health professionals with their opinions etc get sent off to the decision maker? Or is the main thing now going to be this face to fac

Hi H,

"So the new date is when the new decision is made? For example if it upped or taken away or all together, it happens on the day the decision maker makes their decision, rather than the day I sent off the evidence and stuff?"

Yes, any PIP award or lack of award will be active from the date of the new PIP decision, rather than from when you sent your evidence in.

So, you will not receive an overpayment, and there will be nothing to pay back if the worse happens.

PIP is always paid 4 weeks in arrears anyway !!

Any evidence that you have provided, should be read by The PIP assessor prior to your face to face.

As a result of the face to face, The PIP Assessor will compile a PIP PA4 Medical Report which will include recommendations on how many points you should be awarded and what PIP Awards you should receive.

Your PIP file including all the above will then be sent to The DWP PIP DM who will make the final decision.

The PIP DM should take ALL the evidence into account when coming to their decision.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #148866 by helsbelsx
Replied by helsbelsx on topic PIP assesment -transport and emergency worries.
Thank you. One less thing to worry about is having to owe them money if they decide I no longer need benefit.

Hopefully they will see my condition is just as bad though.

One other quick question. I have been re-referred back into CMHT and at some point will have an assessment with them - Can the paperwork from this assessment be used as evidence if dwp say I am no longer entitled to pip? Or would it be too late and be disallowed?

Other than that I guess its just a waiting game. I will report back how the medical goes after the 8th of Feb.

Thanks for the helpful advice and clarity. :)

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #148896 by foss27
Hi
You can submit evidence at any time including on the day of the assessment if it wasn't available before. They are obliged to read it.
If you don't get your award and appeal you can use the report if available and again you can submit it up to the day of the appeal.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.