× Members

PIP Assessment tomorrow

• pip74
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #149722 by pip74
PIP Assessment tomorrow was created by pip74
Hi,

I'm currently under the local community mental health team for depression, anxiety and agoraphobia (haven't been out in 4 years, though did get rushed to hospital 3 years ago as I was having a seizure and was unconscious).

I was on DLA which was to stop in January this year anyway, and received the invitation to apply for PIP. My mum, who has basically been designated as my carer had to do the phone call part of applying as I struggle with using a phone. I did speak to the guy on the other end to confirm I exist. The call took well over an hour to complete.

A week or so later I received the PIP form (bit surprised none of it was filled in considering the amount of information that was taken from us). We called the local welfare rights officer who usually fill in forms on my behalf and got the form filled in.

She never mentioned about supporting evidence and I'd assumed the DWP would have contacted my GP, Psychiatrist, CPN and maybe even the Occupational Therapist I was waiting for an assessment from, as they have done before for other claims. When I mentioned about supporting evidence before, welfare rights told me it never gets read and she wished she'd get paid £20 (I told her about here, but was stuck even with the information provided and help needed to fill in the form).

On Saturday 23rd of Jan, I received 2 letters from Capita. One was dated the 11th of January (good of them to get it to me so quickly!) saying I needed to have a face to face interview. The other letter dated the 18th of January came with an appointment for just over a week from receipt, for Tuesday 2nd February. Luckily it is a home visit, and my Occupational Therapist said he'd be here too.

I'm absolutely dreading it. Before I had the invitation to apply I've been having suicidal ideation (one of the reasons I was referred to mental health team by my GP). This hasn't helped. I've lost all interest in life. I just expect to be called a liar.

After reading people's experiences where they've got physical illnesses and have been awarded 0 points, I really don't think I've a chance. I don't think I've the fight in me to go to appeal or tribunals. And yes, I'm scared.

Wish me luck, anyway!

Phillip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #149727 by bernie
Replied by bernie on topic PIP Assessment tomorrow
best wishes on your assessment. Ask them to record it for you. Its so unpleasant having to be put through these dreaded assessments. I know how you feel, as I have had to take my ESA to a tribunal. Good luck.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pip74

More
8 years 3 months ago #149728 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP Assessment tomorrow
Hi Phillip

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this - it seems that everything is conspiring against you, and with your health problems you really don't need this additional strain.

There isn't a lot we can do to help for tomorrow; you'll presumably have your Mum there with you, as well as your Occupational Therapist and between them they should be able to give you some much needed moral support.

I am absolutely amazed that the Welfare Rights worker didn't tell you about the supportive evidence you needed; I would have thought that she would be fully aware that where evidence in concerned, more is better. As the form you received with nothing written on it - well, I would most definitely query that - what was the point of asking for information and then not using it!

None of which is of any use to you, when you are feeling so very low.

All I can suggest is that you have a copy of your email (the one you sent to us) to hand and give it to the assessor when he/she arrives. It contains all the information and misinformation you have been given . You are not to blame if you are not made aware of what is required of you. Don't let anyone call you a liar, because you are not; instead, let your Mum or OT answer for you if the assessor tries to bully you.

If (as you suspect) you will not get the points you feel you deserve, then you go to Mandatory reconsideration; at this point you send all of the available supportive evidence you have - you will be able to gather it all together by this time, and point out any discrepancies between the points you feel you are entitled to and the actual points you have been awarded when you send your request for reconsideration.

Another suggestion - have you tried approaching your MP? Face to face would be best, but if you can't cope with that, send him/her copies of all of your evidence and an explanation of your treatment. and how it has made you feel. If no one tells them of the awful strain it puts on you, they can not possibly know.

I'm sorry there isn't much else to suggest. We wish you all the luck you need.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149740 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Assessment tomorrow

bernie wrote: best wishes on your assessment. Ask them to record it for you. Its so unpleasant having to be put through these dreaded assessments. I know how you feel, as I have had to take my ESA to a tribunal. Good luck.

I am afraid that, unlike ESA, recording is not offered for PIP assessments.

The claimant can provide their own recording equipment providing that 1) they have permission in advance and 2) they can make 2 recordings simultaneously. Failing that, it is quite legal to make a covert recording - but you should be aware that the interview would be stopped if this were discovered and it is most likely that your claim would be terminated.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• pip74
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #149757 by pip74
Replied by pip74 on topic PIP Assessment tomorrow
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate them.

I'm absolutely dreading trying to get through the night. The tablets I'm on aren't the greatest, and I've heard nothing from the mental health team, except for OT, since October 13th last year. Psychiatrist said he'd be out within 3 weeks from then, but there's been nothing. It's been a struggle with them too, but that's another story.

My parents have been referred for a carers assessment next week with a local charity the OT put us in touch with, so this with capita couldn't have come at a better time! I literally feel like I don't know what's going on. I gather I should have had a care and treatment plan from the CMHT by now too, which I could have presented to Capita.

It's been one big fight and frankly, I'm tired of it. My OT wants me to venture out on Wednesday (the day after!) and I'm scared of that too. It'll be the first time in 3 years.

Thank you again,

Phillip

• foss27
8 years 2 months ago #149780 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP Assessment tomorrow
Hi
If your welfare rights helper works for someone you should complain about them.
Point the organisation to this website and suggest retraining for their workers!!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.