× Members

DLA- mobility car ?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150480 by scarletthollie5
DLA- mobility car ? was created by scarletthollie5
I am currently receiving higher rate mobility and care on indefinite award . I am aged 64. I am due. To replace my mobility vehicle soon but l am also aware of the pip changes. I understand that if my mobility component is stopped following a pip claim, l would have to return my mobility car l am also aware that if this should happen l would be entitled to a pro rata payment based on the deposit paid for the vehicle my question is - if l win the appeal and mobility component is backdated would l also be entitled to the monies paid out for any extras l had added to the vehicle such a parking sensors , as by winning the appeal the dwp would have incorrectly withdrawn my vehicle , therefore why should l lose monies l paid out due to their error. Am l entitled to the monies lost? - thank you
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150485 by
Replied by on topic DLA- mobility car ?

scarletthollie5 wrote: I am currently receiving higher rate mobility and care on indefinite award . I am aged 64. I am due. To replace my mobility vehicle soon but l am also aware of the pip changes. I understand that if my mobility component is stopped following a pip claim, l would have to return my mobility car l am also aware that if this should happen l would be entitled to a pro rata payment based on the deposit paid for the vehicle my question is - if l win the appeal and mobility component is backdated would l also be entitled to the monies paid out for any extras l had added to the vehicle such a parking sensors , as by winning the appeal the dwp would have incorrectly withdrawn my vehicle , therefore why should l lose monies l paid out due to their error. Am l entitled to the monies lost? - thank you

Hi sh5,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Yes, if you were under 65 on 08/04/13, you will have to transfer over to PIP over the coming 2-3 years. See : This Post in our Spotlight Area at the top of The forum.

" I understand that if my mobility component is stopped following a pip claim, l would have to return my mobility car"

Yes, if you fail to gain an Enhanced PIP Mobility Award on transferring to PIP you will also lose your entitlement to lease a Motability Car, and if you have one at that time, you would have to return it :

DLA to PIP Transitional support package. Motability

It is much harder to obtain an Enhanced PIP Mobility Award than a DL HR Mobility Award, and as you can see in our News Article Motability cars are being lost by 45% of DLA to PIP claimants.

Although any increase in PIP Mobility Payments would be backdated to the time of the original adverse decision if successful at MR/Appeal I am not aware of any facility to compensate you for any other costs incurred due to installing "extras" etc.

You could try and fight this yourself, and you may want to discuss this possibility with Motability.

You may want to try and assess your chances of gaining an Enhanced PIP Award from the information below, which may then allow you to make a more informed decision on how you should move forward :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

PIP Self Test

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago #150489 by scarletthollie5
Replied by scarletthollie5 on topic DLA- mobility car ?
Thank you for your quick reply and helpful links.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 2 months ago #150505 by MaryAnn
Replied by MaryAnn on topic DLA- mobility car ?
I was in exactly the same position as you - I was two weeks short of my 65th Birthday on 8/04/13 and although the 'talk' was of 'random' selection in my area I was contacted very quickly and the whole process speedily dealt with. I lost my entitlement (enh. rate indefinite award DLA) and hence my Motability car - 10 pts. standard rate PIP awarded as I could walk the 20 mtr. distance from the waiting room to the office for assessment using my stick and as I still held my driving licence still had the ability to follow a familiar route I was unable to get the 12 pts required.

After reading all information prior to my PIP assessment I was anticipating this and so regardless of the decision arriving almost on Christmas/New Year close down I had put myself in the position of being able to purchase my car from Motability. Given my age and deteriorating health I chose not to appeal, I would not cope with the stress at present. It does seem to confirm that the savings are being made from Motability as today's newsletter tells us and now leaves us with the worry of the 'care' component - if you get pts. because you manage with what they refer to as an 'aid' then Gov. are looking at this payment too now! One off payments can cover the cost of the 'aids' and so they believe you do not need ongoing payments!

• foss27
8 years 2 months ago #150524 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic DLA- mobility car ?
The motor industry will start complaining to the govt soon if this continues.
They cannot stand the loss of so many new car sales.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.