× Members

Enhanced mobilty to nothing .DLA to PIP migration

More
8 years 1 month ago #152761 by Ram64
Hi all,

The brown envelope dropped on my doormat this morning ( two weeks and 3 days from the medical). I was receiving daily living at standard rate and mobilty at enhanced rate under DLA. Following the PIP medical the decision maker has awarded me daily living at the standard rate and NO mobilty award. My last award for DLA was two years ago and my condition has slowly deteriorated since. I am also in the support group for ESA. (following a lengthy appeal).

With regards to the mobilty element of the decision letter I quote ' You said you have difficulty with moving around. You said you can walk for about a minute before needing to stop. You said you can walk up and down a flight of stairs. It is considered by medical consensus that walking up a flight of stairs, equates to 70 metres on a flat surface. I agree you have difficulties but consider you stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres either aided or unaided safely, reliably and repeatedly'.

I'm pretty sure that the only question at the medical was ' where is your toilet ?' and at no time was climbing up and down stairs spoken about at any length.

I suffer with constant scaitica and lower back pain following two operations to correct prolapsed discs in my lower back and stairs are the bane of my life. I had my first medical appointment in Nottingham changed to Derby because the first venue was on the third floor (stairs?) with no convenient parking within 200 metres.

At best I shuffle up stairs one step at a time with both feet on one step, and I have gone up and down on my bum a good a few times. Would that be classed as NOT reliably and repeatably? I have a bucket downstairs for number ones and only ever go upstairs for number twos and at bedtime.

Is it me, or or it reasonable to suggest that going upstairs and walking on a flat surface have very little in common? I go upstairs sometimes on my bum but never shuffle down the pavement on my bum. I just don't understand how you can go from enhanced in DLA to no award at all. A lesser award would be a blow but to get nothing ? ..... go figure.

Joking apart I understand that I can have a mandatory reconsideration but any advice and guidance would be most appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152776 by slugsta
Hi Ram and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm sorry that you are going through this, it is probably of little comfort to know that you are not alone :)

Yes, your next step is to request a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). You can do this over the phone but we always suggest that you follow it up in writing. It is explained in more detail in our PIP guides.

PIP help for claimants

If you do not already have a copy of the actual assessor's report, it is worth requesting this but you should not delay in getting the MR requested if the report has not arrived in time.

If/when you have further questions or comments regarding your PIP claim, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. It makes our lives very much easier if everything relating to one subject is kept together in the same place! You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ram64

More
8 years 1 month ago #152778 by Gordon
Ram

We're having a discussion on another topic about the assessor reporting that the claimant walks 30m to the ground floor toilet when the actual distance is likely to be about 6m!

The Decision Maker refers to your being able to walk safely, reliably and repeatedly, you need to show that you cannot do this and certainly cannot do this over the distance that they refer to.

So break it down into the elements;

• Distance - how far can you walk without severe discomfort, breathlessness or needing to stop?
• Safely – if your walking causes you severe discomfort how long does this last for?
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – how do you walk, do you take short steps, do you often have to stop?
• Repeatedly – having walked or used the stairs, could you do it again and if not, why?
• In a timely manner – how long doe sit take you?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, Ram64

More
8 years 1 month ago #152805 by Ram64
Hi Mrs Hurtyback and Gordon,

Thanks for the quick response..... How and who would I need to contact to get a copy of the HP' report ?

Thanks in advance

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago #152819 by bro58

Ram64 wrote: Hi Mrs Hurtyback and Gordon,

Thanks for the quick response..... How and who would I need to contact to get a copy of the HP' report ?

Thanks in advance

Hi R64,

You should ring The PIP helpline and request The PA4 Medical Report : :

Telephone: 0345 850 3322
Textphone: 0345 601 6677
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

bro58

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152822 by Ram64
Thanks Bro...

I saw the number on the letter and gave it a ring...they're passing the message on.

Hopefully it will be here soon
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.