× Members

Daughter going back to work. Who do I contact?

• rockstedyuk
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #152820 by rockstedyuk
My daughter is in receipt of ESA Support Group. She actually returned an ESA50 form in February 2014 and never heard a thing back from them. This week a friend told her about a part time job she might be able to do. She decided to apply for it. Only 12 hours a week over 4 days. She had an interview today and was told she got the job this evening at 17:30. Which is all VERY quick but wonderful news. She starts next Tuesday. Now my question is who does she inform about her change in circumstances will there be any problems with informing them the day before she starts work. She's worrying about the whole thing. She doesn't want to do anything wrong. I told her that informing the DWP on Monday will be fine. She only had the interview and subsequent job offer today. Can anyone see any issues?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152823 by bro58

rockstedyuk wrote: My daughter is in receipt of ESA Support Group. She actually returned an ESA50 form in February 2014 and never heard a thing back from them. This week a friend told her about a part time job she might be able to do. She decided to apply for it. Only 12 hours a week over 4 days. She had an interview today and was told she got the job this evening at 17:30. Which is all VERY quick but wonderful news. She starts next Tuesday. Now my question is who does she inform about her change in circumstances will there be any problems with informing them the day before she starts work. She's worrying about the whole thing. She doesn't want to do anything wrong. I told her that informing the DWP on Monday will be fine. She only had the interview and subsequent job offer today. Can anyone see any issues?

Hi rsuk,

Welcome to Benefits and Work Forum :)

If she is to close her ESA Claim, she should do so in writing formally by letter !

She should address the letter to the address of the Benefits Office/Centre on her most recent ESA letter.

If she is not sure of the address she can ring ESA to confirm it :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

Sending Documents/Letters to the DWP.

If she takes up the employment but finds that she cannot cope with it within 12 weeks of closing her ESA claim, there is a 12 week linking rule which will allow her to make a "Rapid Reclaim" of ESA as long as no more than 12 weeks have elapsed.

It may be a bit late in the day, but did she consider doing what is known as Permitted Work (PW) which you allowed to do whilst also receiving ESA, see :

Permitted Work

Work for people living with disability or health conditions.

&

Our guide on PW 4th link down : This Page

For any work that she is going to undertake to be counted as PW, she must inform ESA of her intent to do the work and gain their agreement that they will class it as PW.

See also : Access to Work

You should also be aware that if she is entitled to Contribution Based (CB) ESA only, and carries on with the work beyond the 12 weeks, but fails to gain enough NI Contributions from her employment for future entitlement to payment of CB ESA, that she may not be entitled to any ESA payments again as the result of a totally fresh claim unless she can pass the Income Related (IR) ESA means test !!

Whatever she decides, I wish her every success in the future !! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• rockstedyuk
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #152826 by rockstedyuk
Replied by rockstedyuk on topic Daughter going back to work. Who do I contact?
Thank you Bro58

I did not know about the permitted work thing. I just assumed once you're able to do any work you are no longer able to claim ESA. I will pass that on to her but as you say its probably too late in the day now. She has accepted the job. The thing she was most worried about was telling the DWP too late so if she calls them on Monday it will at least be logged and she wont be in any kind of trouble? I mean if she left it until Tuesday her first day it wont be the end of the world (She is going to ask me that she worries about EVERYTHING).

Will she have to mention the 12 week rapid return element in her letter. I'm sure she will be just fine but if she did need to return how easy is that to do?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152839 by Gordon
rockstedyuk

It's not too late to look at PW but she needs to deal with it next week as a matter of urgency, there is no problem with the hours that she is doing but her wages need to be under £107.50 a week, after tax and national insurance deductions (£115.50 from April 2016).

She doesn't need to mention the 12 week reclaim period if she decides to close her claim/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152842 by bro58

rockstedyuk wrote: Thank you Bro58

I did not know about the permitted work thing. I just assumed once you're able to do any work you are no longer able to claim ESA. I will pass that on to her but as you say its probably too late in the day now. She has accepted the job. The thing she was most worried about was telling the DWP too late so if she calls them on Monday it will at least be logged and she wont be in any kind of trouble? I mean if she left it until Tuesday her first day it wont be the end of the world (She is going to ask me that she worries about EVERYTHING).

Will she have to mention the 12 week rapid return element in her letter. I'm sure she will be just fine but if she did need to return how easy is that to do?

Hi rsuk,

Just to add to Gordon's good advice,

There shouldn't be any problems with ESA overpayments if she informs them over the coming week as ESA is always paid fortnightly, 2 weeks in arrears.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• rockstedyuk
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #153601 by rockstedyuk
Replied by rockstedyuk on topic Daughter going back to work. Who do I contact?
Hello again

My daughters start date was pushed back to next Tuesday. Now however she is having second thoughts about the job. She has ME/CFS and has had it since 2007. This past week she has been extra tired which is putting her off. She has been doing so well the past twelve months.....anyway......I do have a question. How exactly does the rapid reclaim thing work? Is it a given that she will get the benefit back or is it a "maybe" situation? I presume they will reassess her immediately after reinstating the benefit. She hasn't ended her claim yet I told her not to do it until she had completed her first day. Also information about "permitted work" is very ague on the internet. How many people are actually able to do permitted work? It sounds like a time bomb benefits wise?

Sorry long post for a couple of questions.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.