× Members

Buried Alive!

More
5 years 3 months ago #225309 by unBat412Fd
Replied by unBat412Fd on topic Buried Alive!
Hello, now it’s my brothers turn to be buried alive. He has just been found fit for work. He has made a miraculous recovery from heart disease. He scored no points. He’s been told to claim uc. He has made an appointment with his local community centre to get help to appeal. Unfortunately they can’t fit him in for two weeks. I am trying my best to help him in the meantime. He’s reluctant to claim uc while he appeals. I have told him he can make a nil income claim to keep his housing benefit. He’s thinking of living off savings while his mr is sorted out. He is currently in receipt of pip and also sdp. Tomorrow we will ring dwp for a copy of the esa 85 and follow up with a request in writing.

Could I please ask, that that he’s been found fit for work will he lose his sdp? Are there any circumstances in which he could keep it? Also am I right in thinking that after they turn him down at mr stage and he goes on to appeal, can he get his esa reinstated at assessment rate whilst on appeal if he has not claimed uc?

I do hope all that makes sense. I’m in a bit of a state, as although I am now retired all this has brought back bad memories of when I had a fight on my hands with these wonderful folks myself.

Regards PP:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225327 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Buried Alive!
PP

The SDP is only payable through his ESA claim, if he goes on to appeal and is paid the ESA Assessment rate then the SDP should be included although he will likely have to confirm his eligibility to the DWP again.

As an aside, as he was receiving the SD Premium in the last month he should be able to claim JSA as he is currently barred from claiming UC, he should be able to present a Fit Note and be excused from any Job Search Commitments for 13 weeks, he would receive his JSA, the SDP and the Disability Premium, so close to what he received under ESA. The claim for JSA must be made within one month of the FfW Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225433 by unBat412Fd
Thank you so so much for your reply Gordon. Options seem to be far better for him than I thought they would be. I have just a few further questions to ask, but as my head is absolutely banging with all this I may leave it till Monday. I just wanted to say I big big thank you for now.

My brother brought his decision letter round today and I photocopied it to read over the next few days. It’s quite lengthy, esa65. We rang DWP to get the Esa85 sent. They asked if we wanted to put in for a MR. We said no just to send the esa85. I hope we have done things the right way round.

Anyway as I said I just wanted to say a big thank you till I can get my head to stop banging before I ask another question. So thank you so much. Hope you have a good weekend

Kindest regards PP:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
5 years 2 months ago #225482 by unBat412Fd
Hello Gordon.
I understand just about everything you told me in reply to my question on Friday. I am a little confused though as to which benefit he needs to be on to keep his SDP. In first sentence you say SDP is paid through ESA claim. Then later you say he would receive JSA, SDP and the Disability Premium. When you say JSA did you mean ESA? Was it just a typo or am I being totally thick and simply not grasping what you have said? It’s so easily done ha!

Does he claim JSA first and then get the fit note? I’m sure I read on here sometime that that’s the case. Also to confuse even more on the ESA 65 it says he can claim JSA or new Style JSA. Would he be best just claiming JSA? I don’t know the difference.

To my knowledge he hasn’t received a letter from Housing Benefit yet to cancel his claim. When he comes to deal with this, is it simply a request to have the claim reinstated and not a fresh claim?

So sorry to ask all these questions. When I retired I threw all my ESA guides out cos I thought I would never need them again. I will print off new guides later this week including the appeals guide so we can go through them slowly and over the coming weeks/ months put a good case forward. But for now we just wanted to know the above questions and in which order he should deal with them. I have to be careful not to let myself get into the same state I was in when I had to deal with my own ESA problems, but I cant let him deal with it on his own. He’s getting very stressed because after the heart attacks and he made his claim he was left on assessment rate for almost two years and they never left him alone, he’s was constantly harassed by them.

Kind regards PP:)

More
5 years 2 months ago #225534 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Buried Alive!
PP

The Premiums are paid through any Income Related benefit with the exception of UC, so ESA(IR) or JSA(IR).

Yes, any JSA claim must be accepted and in payment, before he presents a Fit Note and he must declare himself as Fit for Work when he makes the claim, this will not have any impact on him subsequently presenting a Note or any MR or appeal that he makes in regard his ESA.

Yes, he is asking for his HB to be reinstated, either as a nil income claim, because of a JSA claim, or later because he is receiving the ESA Assessment rate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #225565 by unBat412Fd
Thank you so much Gordon. Thats put my mind at rest. You’ve actually answered more than I asked in a way. That’s brilliant. I just don’t know what we would have done without you. My brother has asked me to say a massive big thanks to you also.

Could I just ask one more question please? Does the fit note have to be dated after the day he claims his JSA? He was thinking maybe he could get fit note first but not present it until after he makes claim for JSA. Think that’s the last bit of my kaffoodledness now. Ha!

Regards PP:)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.