× Members

APPLICATIONS TO PIP FROM DLA AGE RELATED ??

More
9 years 1 month ago #132719 by Steev
Hi,

I was diagnosed with acute osteoarthritis in both feet in 2005 by a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and awarded higher rate mobility DLA (indefinitely) due to the pain of walking.
(I also have cognitive issues for which I receive lower rate care but are not relevant to this question)
Other than seeing my GP for repeat painkiller prescriptions I have not seen anyone in connection with my condition since original diagnosis AND ..... although I am not really much worse I am certainly no better.
After all, osteoarthritis doesn't get better and damaged joints don't repair themselves.
So, my question is ..... when the time comes for me to claim PIP will I lose out because of no up to date expert evidence re the arthritis DESPITE it being a condition which doesn't improve?

Thanks

Steev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #132740 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic APPLICATIONS TO PIP FROM DLA AGE RELATED ??
Steev

Having no up to date information will not help but this does not mean that you cannot qualify for the PIP Mobility component.

What will help is whether you previous reports clearly indicate that you would have problems with walking as this will help, as you say it is a degenerative disease so being able to put a stake in the ground as to how you were will be of help.

Have you spoken to your GP about being re-assessed for your problems, there have been a lot changes in Arthritis treatment over he last few years?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steev

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #133488 by Steev
Thanks for your reply.

I was advised by the surgeon that the only realistic treatment was to have the joints in my feet fused together thereby preventing any flexing of the foot.
I think was he was telling was no joint movement = no pain !!
Having met a couple of people who had that done I decided against it and make do with my walking stick and strong painkillers.
The annoying thing is when asked "How far can you walk"?

If my grandchildren were in danger I would walk as far as necessary .... BUT ..... if asked "How far can you walk WITHOUT BEING IN PAIN"? the answer would be ..... I feel pain with every step !!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #133531 by Gordon
Steev

One final point, it is important when completing the PIP forms to distinguish the pain you feel on a day to day basis from the pain you experience when perform an activity such as walking.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #133620 by Steev
Gordon,

When they say 'day to day' basis does that mean when sitting on my bum in a chair or when generally pottering around?
Because if all I did was to sit in a chair all day I would feel no pain ..... when I start walking, I then feel pain so I'm not sure what they mean.

Steev

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #133642 by Gordon

Steev wrote: Gordon,

When they say 'day to day' basis does that mean when sitting on my bum in a chair or when generally pottering around?
Because if all I did was to sit in a chair all day I would feel no pain ..... when I start walking, I then feel pain so I'm not sure what they mean.

Steev

Many claimants suffer from pain 24x7 or for a significant part of the day, whatever they are doing, if this is the case for you then it may help your claim if you can show that the level of pain you experience increases when you walk or for that matter, when you carry out any of the other activities that PIP tests.

PIP does not describe the level of "pain" that a claimant needs to experience for it to be relevant, but we have seen the DWP use the phrase "severe discomfort", this was used in DLA.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: cats6, Steev

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris