× Members

Error in law

More
8 years 1 month ago #155951 by jayjaybal
Replied by jayjaybal on topic Error in law
Thanks Gordon. :thumbsup

I've contacted our MP, the guy I spoke to said he'd be more than happy to help. I do think that DWP are abusing the system to put people off applying and taking the process further when their claim is denied.

UTT has already decided that being able to attend the assessment alone does not mean you can interact socially but they are still claiming that means he doesn't qualify. One of the symptoms of his condition means he wants to socially isolate himself so he put on the form that he doesn't go out because he doesn't want to. Apparently they don't understand socially isolating yourself means you don't want to go out!

Will I get a chance to respond to their reply or does it go straight to tribunal?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #156004 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Error in law
julesbal

The DWP submission will go to the TS and they will then send a copy to you for you to create your own submission, you will have until 10 ten days before the hearing to submit it to the TS.

Be careful of referring to UTT Decision, they are rarely as black and white as your post suggests, at the very least you would need to show he is affected in this way.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 1 month ago #156043 by jayjaybal
Thanks Gordon, I really appreciate your help and advise. B)

I understand what you're saying about UTT decisions but I've included them in MR and in his Tribunal submission and explained how they relate to him and his conditions. They have been totally ignored both in the MR and in the response to TS. All I can do is point out how ridiculous I believe their process is and list the reasons why.

His conditions/side effects make him socially isolate himself and not want to go out. He must attend the assessment, they are mandatory but attending the assessment means he doesn't qualify and not attending the assessment means his claim will be closed down. How is that natural justice? This has been decided on by the UTT in a specific case but also in generalised terms and that's what I've used. It's all a flim flam act with smoke and mirrors but I'm going to make it as hard as I can for them to reject his claim. I don't know the law very well but I know what's right and I can make a damned good argument to support him and I won't stop until he has what he is legally entitled to!

To be fair I don't expect much from the FTT but if I can get it to the UTT then I'm more hopeful of success. If the FTT rule against him I'm going to bang in another claim and if that's successful then the UTT will only have to rule on the intervening period.

More
8 years 1 month ago #156249 by jayjaybal
I've heard this morning that the DWP are trying a new tactic. People moving from DLA to PIP are sent the forms, having assessments, getting a higher award than when they were on DLA so they are not being moved across to PIP, DWP are extending DLA! :ohmy:

How can that even be legal?

More
8 years 1 month ago #156252 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Error in law

julesbal wrote: I've heard this morning that the DWP are trying a new tactic. People moving from DLA to PIP are sent the forms, having assessments, getting a higher award than when they were on DLA so they are not being moved across to PIP, DWP are extending DLA! :ohmy:

How can that even be legal?

I'm don't know where you have heard this but it's simply not true. Some DLA claimants with Fixed Term awards are having their award extended to ensure that their DLA remains in payment until a Decision on their PIP claim is made, but they are most certainly not being left on DLA because of a higher award being considered under PIP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #156301 by jayjaybal
It was from a lawyer on another board I read, the applicant is her client and she is spitting nails! They had gone through the process, had the assessment and were then advised that DLA would be extended indefinitely, he was on low rate care and mobility. They requested the paperwork and had been awarded 16 points for Daily Living and 12 points for Mobility so would have been on enhanced for both.

She says 10 people have contacted her so far about the same issue and I know she's discussed it with ITV.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris