× Members

Mandatory reconsideration question

More
8 years 1 month ago #153301 by Nysnanna
Mandatory reconsideration question was created by Nysnanna
My grandson has been receiving DLA since the age of 5, high rate care and low rate mobility. He is now 16 and has recently claimed for PIP. This has been totally refused - no PIP at all. He has a diagnosis of Autism, ADHD, Tourettes, Demand avoidance, he attends a alternative free school where he is taught in groups of no more than 3 students.
We are awating the official letter but want to start getting sorted as we clearly need to challenge this. He has not had a face to face assessment and Capita said that they felt they had enough information to make their decision without one. Is this really allowed, I'm certain if anyone met our grandson and tried to have a conversation with him they would quickly realise that although he can tell you word for word the whole of all seven star wars films, he struggles to read more than seven words, cannot tell the time or even fasten his shoe laces. Is it right for them to deny him this assessment?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153333 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mandatory reconsideration question
T

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #155565 by Nysnanna
Replied by Nysnanna on topic Mandatory reconsideration question
I made a PIP claim for my son (I am his appointee) as he turned 16 and had previosuly been on DLA. He previously received high rate care and low rate mobility. The PIP decision was nothing at all for either. I immediately requested a mandatory reconsideration using your guides and sent in addition evidence and medical/school reports.
I recieved a telephone call today to inform me that it was being dealt with and had been sent back to Capita for advice?? I'm clearly unhappy about this as their previous advice appeared to ignore evidence from medical reports CAHMS tier 4 etc and only used school reports as evidence. School have sent me an email stating that the person that spoke to the health professional from Capita clearly stated that they did not work with my son and were not best placed to answer the questions, they also infomred the HP that they did not have cooking facilities and could not make comment on his ability to prepare a meal. However the HP stated that school claimed that he was able to prepare and cook a hot meal. I have included this email along with other further evidence.
Is it usual for DWP to go back to Capita for advice, what is the role of the decision makers if they are unable to make a decision without advice from Capita?
Maybe I am being paranoid but I cannot imagine Capita admitting that they made a wrong decision.
Are many claims successful at this stage or is it just a paper exercise?
Many thanks in advance.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155567 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Mandatory reconsideration question

Nysnanna wrote: I made a PIP claim for my son (I am his appointee) as he turned 16 and had previosuly been on DLA. He previously received high rate care and low rate mobility. The PIP decision was nothing at all for either. I immediately requested a mandatory reconsideration using your guides and sent in addition evidence and medical/school reports.
I recieved a telephone call today to inform me that it was being dealt with and had been sent back to Capita for advice?? I'm clearly unhappy about this as their previous advice appeared to ignore evidence from medical reports CAHMS tier 4 etc and only used school reports as evidence. School have sent me an email stating that the person that spoke to the health professional from Capita clearly stated that they did not work with my son and were not best placed to answer the questions, they also infomred the HP that they did not have cooking facilities and could not make comment on his ability to prepare a meal. However the HP stated that school claimed that he was able to prepare and cook a hot meal. I have included this email along with other further evidence.
Is it usual for DWP to go back to Capita for advice, what is the role of the decision makers if they are unable to make a decision without advice from Capita?
Maybe I am being paranoid but I cannot imagine Capita admitting that they made a wrong decision.
Are many claims successful at this stage or is it just a paper exercise?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi N,

I will merge this topic with your previous PIP related query for continuity.

PIP Case Managers (Decision Makers) do sometimes refer back to The PIP Assessment Provider (AP) (Capita or ATOS) if they are unhappy with the quality and information included in the PIP PA4 Medical Report.

Capita may well get a different HP to re-look at the evidence and make amendments to the PA4.

Whether this will result in a positive outcome to your MR is an unknown !

Here is some PIP MR/Appeal generic advice :

You have one month from the date of the PIP Decision Notice letter to make a written request for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) of the PIP decision.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

You could also ring the PIP Helpline :

Telephone: 0345 850 3322
Textphone: 0345 601 6677
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

To request a copy of The PA4 PIP Medical Report compiled by the PIP Assessor at your face to face and sent to The DWP PIP DM to be used when the DM came to their decision.

If you have any problems obtaining The PA4 with a verbal request, you can make a written request which should be done as a separate issue to any MR request :

You can do this using a SAR Form :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the Benefits Office dealing with your PIP.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

You should not miss your one month deadline if The PA4 or any other supporting evidence that you may be awaiting has not arrived.

You can make comment that you have requested this and will submit further evidence if applicable when you receive it.

Once you have The PA4, you can then pose any counter arguments to the PIP Assessors recommendations.

e.g. If they are stating that you can carry out a particular PIP Activity, has it been taken into account that to be classed as being able to carry out a PIP Activity, you must be able to do so Reliably and Safely for The Majority of Days

If the Assessor has stated that they witnessed you Walking a set distance have they taken into account the above, the time it took you to do so, and any pain, discomfort and breathless, etc that you may have suffered whilst doing so ? etc, etc, etc !!

You should also concentrate on reiterating where and why you should have scored the extra points with respect to the applicable PIP Activities and the appropriate scoring PIP Descriptor for that Activity, whilst cross-referencing to any medical evidence that you have, or may have already provided which indicates that you should have.

You should be aware that when you request an MR, any current PIP Awards, Daily Living and/or Mobility, that you might have, can be increased, reduced or taken away altogether, as they will look at the whole PIP Awards afresh.

Obviously if you have no current PIP Award, there is no risk involved.

See : PIP MR/Appeals Guidance.

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

Once you have gone through The MR Process, if you are still unsuccessful, you have one month from the date of The MR Decision Notice Letter to appeal directly to The Tribunal Service. (TS)

You should do this using one copy of The MR Notice letter (keep the othercopy) and the : SSCS 1 Form (Download Link)

All this is explained in our PIP Appeals Guidance

See also : PIP Self Test

PIP Points Scoring System

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

Current success rates for PIP MRs are pretty poor, but improve greatly on going forward to appeal.

See : This News Story

Of course, that does not mean that your MR will not be successful !

Hoping for a successful outcome to your MR and please keep us updated ! :)

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your PIP related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156371 by Nysnanna
Replied by Nysnanna on topic Mandatory reconsideration question
Hi All

REcieved the result of the mandatory reconsideration now - my grandson has now been awarded standard rate daily living and no mobility, he previously had high rate care and low rate mobility.

We will be taking this to tribunal and will begin the process when we get the paperwork (decision was given over the telephone).
My grandson is 16 and has autism amongst other things and I am his appointee. If we go for a face to face assessment rather than a paper one, does he need to attend? I think the stress is likely to be too much for him but on the other hand it may be good for them to try and question him. Not sure if as his appointee I can go alone and represent him. If this is the case am I able to take someone with me that also provides a lot of care for him , to support me through the ordeal? I am incredibly anxioous about this but believe he is entitled to enhanced and therefore feel that it is necessary to take it as far as I have to.

I have two holidays booked this summer, will I have the opportunity to give the tribunal panel these dates beforehand?

Many thanks in advance.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156387 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mandatory reconsideration question
You will need to apply to the Judge of your son's hearing for him not to attend and for you to represent him, they may allow it, they may not.

You can have someone with you even if you son attends.

Include the dates of your holidays with the SSCS1 when you send it in.

The PIP Appeal guide has links to the SSCS1 appeal form and instructions on how to complete it.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.