× Members

esa appeal

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156255 by lily
esa appeal was created by lily
Hi everyone, im new to all this so forgive me if I don't know the ins and outs of the forum. I would just like to see if someone could help me with advice on going to my esa appeal when it happens, still waiting on a date, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis , but the powers that be say iam fit to work, I scored no points on my esa medical, iam totally depressed by all of this, I feel like im on trial for a terrible crime! iv worked full time for the past 31 years, but Christmas before last I got the life changing news I had this truly awful disease,i stayed working for a further 9 months, but finally had to admit defeat, I was in too much pain to carry on, I was truly broken! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have been told iv to come off esa and start looking for work, god knows how much I wish I could, but im in so much pain, I would love help from any other human beings out there, who feel like me they have been made to feel like a criminal, just for being in ill health, sorry if this is too long, thanks in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156280 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa appeal
E

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with her claim, have a look at our ESA Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85) if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that she still meets the criteria for the Support Group, there are many reasons she may have failed, she needs to address each of these but shouldn't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless she can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lily

More
8 years 6 days ago #157219 by lily
Replied by lily on topic esa appeal
hi there just got news my appeal for esa is on may 25th, will I get more evidence from my Gp and rheumatologist to help with appeal. I scored no points at my face to face medical, so just looking to see if someone can help with some advice,..thanks in advance.

More
8 years 6 days ago #157234 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic esa appeal
Hello Lily

You need to gather together all the evidence you can to support your case; any further letters from GP or Consultant should be included as well as any input from Physio/Occupational therapist etc. if you see them. Probably your Rheumatologist or your Rheumy nurse will be the best people to approach as they will have the most knowledge of your condition.

You need also to have details of any side effects from your medications; again your Rheumatologist might be the best person to refer to, since he/she will have more in-depth knowledge of these. (I see a rheumy myself so I know they're good).

If you have anyone who helps with your care - a family member or a friend - might also be able to support you by writing how they see your illness affecting you. Gather all this information together and it should make your case much stronger.

Good luck :)

More
8 years 4 days ago #157426 by lily
Replied by lily on topic esa appeal
Good morning everyone, hope no ones in too much pain today. I was just wondering if anyone can help answer my question, are the chances of winning my appeal for esa{ got no points at medical} good? I have rheumatoid arthritis,, and was wondering if anyone else had similar experience of appeal with ra and won, I don't know what else to do,,the person who did my medical basically wrote what she wanted and the whole experience has totally broken me and I cry constantly now every day,i have worked full time for 31 years, and now when I ask for help I feel like im a criminal , with having to basically beg for some help from a kitty that ive paid into for over 30 years, sorry for feeling sorry for myself, I know everyone here is in the same boat. just feel every days a battle ! :( .

More
8 years 4 days ago #157431 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic esa appeal
Hello Lily

Have you already had your Mandatory Reconsideration? and if so was the result the same - no change in the award?

If you've not got this far, have you applied to the DWP for a copy of your assessors report, because if not that's the first thing you should do.

The go through it and check for any and all the discrepancies between how you are and what the assessor said. (Use the guides on the website to help you)

Make a list of the discrepancies; gather any other information you might have to support your case and send to MR.

If the Decision Maker is unable to change the award he will let you know, probably by telephone, and then you can request that you go to appeal. It's then a case of gathering together any and all information that supports what you have said in your application form - from GP, Consultant, Carers, family members who can support your claims because they can see how you are struggling - etc etc. Send all these pieces of into to the Appeal Panel and then it's a matter of wait and hope.

It's a matter of proving that the assessor was wrong in his/her assessment. I wish you good luck :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.