× Members

DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland

More
7 years 9 months ago #164266 by CL
Hi
I have received a letter to say that I will have a home visit next Tuesday in relation to my DLA claim.

What should I expect?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #164277 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland

CL wrote: Hi
I have received a letter to say that I will have a home visit next Tuesday in relation to my DLA claim.

What should I expect?

Thank you

There's a section in the DLA Claim guides that covers the assessment and there is also a document; 70 Questions You Are Likely To Be Asked in the DLA section.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CL

More
7 years 8 months ago #167232 by CL
Replied by CL on topic DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland
HI
I had my assessment and was subsequently turned down for DLA.
I have requested a mandatory reconsideration and have until the 20th September to submit further evidence.
I asked them for everything they made their decision on and they sent me the notes from my assessment.
The assessor seems to have written down what I said and then seemed to say that I didn't need help.
For example 'despite complaining of falls the client would be able to take appropriate precautions to avoid. If the client was to use two handrails and a walking aid this would negate the risk of falls.'
and
'Gait steady and slow, reduced swing to left side arm and leg due to pain and hence subtle limp.'
'Client suffers from fibromyalgia causing left sided arm, back and leg pain.. She also describes fatigue. However I do not feel this is likely to be severe enough to limit mobility severely.'
'Likely distance before onset of severe discomfort >100 metres'

Assessor did not mention that I suffer from Joint hypermobility syndrome in this determination or the fact that I had explained to her that my left hips burns constantly and that I am in pain from this and from my neck right down to my foot on the left hand side, and suffering from fatigue before even taking one step.

My question is what do I submit to the mandatory reconsideration?

I have got a letter from rheumatologist which stated that he feels my walking is restricted to less than 50 metres with sever discomfort. Is this enough to dispute what assessor has said?

More
7 years 8 months ago #167243 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland
CL

You should certainly send the letter, but as the assessor has made no reference to your Joint Hypermobility Syndrome I would also make sure that it is clear to the Decision Maker what effect this has on your ability to walk. Be aware that they are not medically trained, so may need to explain this simply, think about including a short reference document of JHS symptoms from an appropriate internet site (include a link to the site so they can do additional research if they want).

It may be that all of the information is already in your DLA form, in which case you can simply point them a the relevant sections.

The relevant terminology for DLA is "severe discomfort", if you have not used this then I would "translate" any references to pain that you have made into this, you can also use "severe pain", which is considered to be worse than severe discomfort.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CL

More
7 years 8 months ago #167244 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland
You should also explain why using handrails and walking aids, as suggested by the assessor, would not prevent further falls.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168603 by CL
Replied by CL on topic DLA Home Visit Northern Ireland
Just to update.

I submitted my mandatory reconsideration submission on Friday just past, the deadline I was given was 20th Sept, which is tomorrow. I asked the man on reception to date stamp the actual document before sealing the envelope and he also recorded on the system that it has been submitted so there should be no question of date received.

I'm not sure if I have submitted the correct information but I outlined how I felt I met certain descriptors and pointed out where responses I had given in the Home Visit had not been recorded either at all or correctly. I also pointed out things like, a decision was recorded about managing medication, but nothing was asked in relation to that and nothing in the assessors notes referred to this being asked or me giving information in this regard so I pointed them back to my claim pack.

I enclosed the letter from my Rheumatologist that I received after submitting the claim and the Home visit and cross referenced to it in the submission, I also enclosed the Occupational Health letter sent to my employer noting adjustments to be put in place by them, I also enclosed my Blue Badge award letter, which again was received after the claim and home visit, plus a little bit of reference information from various studies which would support the affect of my conditions on me.

I am not holding out much hope but feel that if I do have to go to appeal, I have done a lot of the ground work, which would help when I approach someone from Advice NI to assist in the appeal.

Thank you for your responses on this forum and the guides and other resources on the website, they have all been invaluable.

I will update further when I get the outcome of the mandatory consideration, not sure when that will be as I believe they (Social Security Agency in NI) do not have a specific timeframe in which they are bound to respond.

Thanks again.

CL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.